www.flickr.com

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Home again

I came home yesterday at lunch time. The only thing they were doing for me at the hospital was pain management. Since it was all in pill form I told them I would rather be in pain or high on pain meds at home instead of at the hospital taking up space in a room that someone else could use that needs it more. The resident on call agreed and she sped me through the discharge process and got me on my way. Now I sit at home in only moderate pain. They put me on a pain med called gabapentin which was originally designed to treat epilepsy but they found it worked particularly well as a nerve pain killer. I also have some percoset pills if the pain gets too much. I took them twice yesterday after getting a little to aggressive with moving around (in one instance I had to chase Andrew down the path behind our house).

So the plan is to keep the drain in until the fluids run clear and decrease significantly in volume. At that point they will probably try to inject a special biodegradable glue into the abscess through the drain to help it close up. At that point the drain will be removed (yay!) and the whole infection should be gone.

I'm not sure what the criteria are for my liver surgeon to book my surgery. I'm not sure if he was just going to wait a week or two and book it no matter what or if he will wait until they put the glue in the abscess and take out the drain. Either way I need to talk with him tomorrow to gently remind him that I want to get this surgery over with ASAP.

The weather here is beautiful today. I think I'll go and sit in the sun and have a popsicle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First time commenting, Dan. We're amazed at your candor and great writing style. Your blog has been a "must read".
Am sure home R&R will be the answer to that annoying and painful infection.
Enjoy the sun!
Keep that attitude - you rock!
from W & B

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan and Penny,
Has been a while since we visited the blog. Sorry to hear about the nuisance of the abcess/drain/pain etc. Was going to comment on the spelling of "fentanyl" but you got it right in the end. I think your spelling can be excused though as all those narcotics can make your brain go a little phunny. Glad to hear that you are home, and hope the liver surgery is soon. Let us know if we can help.
Best wishes,
Mike and Roxanne

Carol said...

I hope they let you know about the glue on Monday. It was a beautiful weekend so I hope you enjoyed it and the pain wasn't too bad. I have had both my sons here visiting - one from Van and one from Ottawa so that has been really nice. My stitches from the stoma are almost healed but I still haven't got my bowels in control. Will I beat my grandson Grayson in toilet training? I'm not sure.
Carol

Nisha said...

Hey Dan - hope things have sorted themselves out and you are feeling better. Hi to Penny!

Nish