www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Noon update


A lot has happened in the past few hours so I thought I'd post an update.

I talked with my surgical team this morning and found out all the details from my surgery yesterday. They said everything went well. Before they removed the right portion of my liver they did an ultrasound of the left side. They didn't find any more lesions on that side which suggests the cancer didn't spread there which is good news. Then they removed the right side of my liver without any issues. While doing this they did some quick investigating in that area of my abdomen and couldn't see any sign of cancer anywhere else which is good. Then they sewed me up. I feel pretty good for a guy that had surgery 22 hours ago.

My main complaint now is all the tubes/bags/buttons that I'm attached to. Here is a list:


-Epidural
-NG tube (nose hose)

-IV line (in my wrist)
-Central line which has 3 connection points (this is in my neck and goes directly into my heart)

-Oxygen nose prongs
-Butt drain
-Abdominal drain (from my liver surgery)
-Pain button (clipped to my gown)
-Nurse call button (also clipped to my gown)
-Dual inflating compression stockings on my legs (to prevent DVT or blood clots)


-Oh ya, and the foley, aka catheter

That's a lot of crap to deal with when you try and roll over in bed, sit up or walk. I need to have help with walking not because I'm weak but because I need someone to manage all my tubes.

One not so pleasant thing I had done today was a dressing change on the central line in my neck. The central line is held in place by 2 clamps that are sewn onto the skin on my neck. That is covered by a dressing to protect the site. So when they went to change the dressing they found that one of the clamps that holds the line in place came undone. So in order to get it back in place they had to get a Doctor in, remove the old clamp and sew a new one in place. Because they installed the first one in my surgery I didn't have to sit through the stitching. Let me tell you, the neck is not a nice place to get stitches. The skin is very sensitive, you can't see what is happening, there are 3 people right in your face and you have a sterile drape covering you head and face. I got really claustrophobic and started shaking badly. Penny had to calm me down and I think I almost broke her hand off I was squeezing so hard. But it worked out in the end and they got it installed properly. Well worth saving the line, since a regular IV has to be taken out and a new one started every 3 days. This one can stay in tell I go home. Less poking in the end.

That's all for now. Penny is off to take Carly to school and I'm going to have a sleep.

11 comments:

Astrid said...

Excellent sounds like everything went well and that you are reacting much better to the fentanyl!

I feel for you and the sterile drape. I remember having one of those covering my face when I was ~3 or 4 years old and needed stitches on my face. It totally freaked me out and I have never forgotten it. I remember screaming and having 3 nurses hold me down - good to see you did better than I did.

Astrid

Unknown said...

That's great to hear that it went so well. I'm so happy to hear it. Wow, those stitches sound awful, you are amazing! One day you will look back at that picture and think, I can't believe I went through that!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dan and Penny

Marcy and I were so happy to hear you made it through the surgery in one piece(Actually two pieces). Looks like all the news is positive so far. From my memory of your last operation, you seem to be recoverering more quickly....yay Dan. Hope to see you soon and hope all the tubes and lines go bye bye

Rich and Marcy

Gill said...

Just wanted you to know I checked into your blog. You look great in your picture. Night and day compared to last time so way to go on 24 hours post recovery happiness. Be sure to advise when you would like some visitors.
May the tube force be with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan and Penny,

You look great on the picture. I can`t imagine how painful was your stitches...yay.
I hope you recovering soon and you could enjoy the summer and the birdsongs.
‘What do you call a surgeon, who`s really cool? A smooth operator! Tee hee hee
Best wishes for a quick recovery!
MS

Anonymous said...

Dan and Penny,
Amazed that you're up, Dan, and blogging already. We're really glad to hear it all went well. Kept thinking of you yesterday and sending positive thoughts your way. Nice photo in the hallway. Like the "off the shoulder" look. But you look pretty darn good for just out of surgery, even with all the additions to your "ensemble".
Hope you get home soon to enjoy the summer.
Best wishes, W and B (Edmonton)

Louie said...

Dan, you look FANTASTIC. You rock man.
K, S & A
xoxo

Louie said...

Actually, that would be, you look fan-freakin-tastic!
:)

Anonymous said...

so glad that the ophas gone according toplan if not better.Keep the recovery rolling.
Lots of love from the Knowles Street gang NZ xx

Carol said...

Dan, you're amazing. I'm glad everything went so well. You're a fighter. Best wishes. Are you in the same room again?

Lana said...

So glad to hear everything went well Dan. Hopefully the tubes (esp. the NG) can come out soon. Good luck with the recovery and keep us posted. As usual let us know if there's anything you need.

Lana :)