www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fun in the sun

It's been too long since my last post. But I'm sure you've figured out by now that when it comes to this blog, no news is generally good news.

The past week has seen us keeping a low profile and enjoying the weather. The kids are loving the sun and spending lots of time outside. We bought a $20 inflatable pool from Crappy Tire and set it up yesterday. Both Carly and Andrew as well as a few other kids from the neighborhood spent the entire afternoon playing in the water. As a responsible parent I was required to sit and supervise the entire affair from a reclining beach chair, beverage in hand.

When I said no news is good news that wasn't entirely true. I spent the early part of this week coming off my pain meds. They say that there's no withdrawal from them as long as your taking them for pain but this is the second time that I've had trouble coming off oxycodone. I was feeling tired, lethargic, had no desire to eat, and had trouble sleeping. But my worst symptom was feeling incredibly down mentally. Its not like me to be depressed and withdrawn so this part of the withdrawal (if that's what it was) was the hardest part. It lasted for about 3 days but things seem to be better now and life is good.

I'm still in the recovery phase from my liver surgery. I can't do a sit up to save my life but other than that I'm feeling pretty good. My next scheduled trip to the hospital will be the week of July 13th. That week I see my medical oncologist, my liver surgeon, and Don, my colorectal surgeon. The appointment with the liver surgeon is just a follow up from my surgery so that should be straight forward. The appointment with Don is to take out this drain in my butt. Its been in for what feels like forever and I can't wait to get it out so I can sleep on that side again. I hope he's ready to pull the trigger and yank this thing out. I just hope its done its job. The appointment with my medical oncologist will be the most interesting. The last time I saw her she said the plan was to do 6 months of chemotherapy following my liver surgery. I think that's still the plan but it will be interesting to see what she says. While my surgeries have been tremendously successful, post op chemotherapy is an important part of the treatment to make sure that the cancer is gone. Cancer starts at a cellular level, and even though all the tumors have been removed, chemo is my best chance of being truly cancer free. I'm not looking forward to the chemo but its one of those things you just have to do.

Sad news today about MJ and Farrah.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I was worried because I hadn't seen anything on your blog. Glad that things are coming along.Good luck with chemo - I won't say it's a piece of cake because that would be not telling the truth. But you are so strong that you will do well. I heard that chemo is easier for males than females.By the way, I'm doing really well. I'm going to the Sunshine coast - Sechelt for two weeks - leaving on Tuesday - I feel like a person again and that the last year and a half was just a fog.You're right behind me.