www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Good News

Here is the good news of the day:

1) I got released this morning. I'm home with my family and feeling pretty happy that I don't have to suffer through another day of hospital hockey puck chicken pot pie.

2) Before I left the hospital this morning I got the pathology report back from the lab and it couldn't have contained better news. The two metastatic spots in my liver were completely and successfully removed. They investigated the entire resected part of the liver and found no more cancer, including at the margins where it was separated from the remaining liver. The doctor who told us the results said that this was the "best possible scenario for someone in my position". I have to say I am nothing short of ecstatic.

3) Since I'm home, I can go to Coldplay tomorrow night (thanks for letting me have the tickets back Gill).

I would say "that's all" but frankly that's a pretty impressive list.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome news Dan...been following your progress intently and it's been nothing short of amazing! Who gets their liver hacked and then goes to see a concert...come on! I'll be booking a BBQ for July.

Mike Moss

Couzzie Josephine said...

Dan and Penny! That scar is enormous... wowzers. Having all those tubes out must be a relief. I hope you are sleeping better, without the wee blue helpers (as Jesse and I called them) Home - That is FANTASTIC news! I'm so glad you're home and I hope that you take it easy and that all goes well. Sending good healing thoughts every day.

Couzzie Josephine said...

My co-worker, Sue, has a message for you too: "All my very best wishes to him for a complete recovery."

There are a few folks at work who ask about you all the time, and always tell me they are thinking of you and sending warm and healing wishes. The afternoon of your surgery, we were all thinking of you! Sue, who does a lot of knitting, mentioned how even the stitches are! I hadn't noticed, but that is a lucky thing!

Lots of love, Josephine xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic news! Congratulations :) It will be the best Father`s Day present for you:)
Enjoy the sunshine and your family and keep yourself active and healthy...I`m so happy for you
MS

Astrid said...

I hope you won't be drinking at Coldplay ... I think you'd be quite the lightweight.

Unknown said...

Perfect news!! Enjoy the concert :)

Anonymous said...

w00t!

Couzzie Josephine's co-worker Sue said...

Hi Dan,

I work with your crazy cousin Josephine in Victoria. We have a fabulous time, and spend a lot of our working day laughing about something. I hope that you find some time to laugh too,although with those stitches I expect you have to be a bit careful.
One thing Josephine has kept me (and others at work) up to date with is your progress. It is lovely to see cousins having such a wonderful relationship, and she has got us all sending you good vibes and happy thoughts as you progressed through your journey.
We were all so happy to hear that you are back home again and the prognosis looks good. Well done.
Perhaps when you are all 'chipper' again and visiting Victoria you will be able to pop into the office and we can meet you in person.
Anyway - keep up the good work and I'll try and keep Josephine in check!!
Tattar for now, Sue

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news Dan, glad to hear it all went so well! We've been missing you out on the Ulti field. Take care and have a great time at Coldplay!

Kirstin

Anonymous said...

That's spectacular.......great news to start the day. I can't believe you are home already considering what has been done to you. It seems, being Dan is getting a little bit easier. Of course having that fabulously suppotive family of yours is a help as well...

Looks like i will see you up and about very soon

all the best

Rich H

Gill said...

Hi Dan:
Wow!! Thank God - is all I can say today. More later

Carol said...

Dan you are amazing - it would take an old lady like me months to get over what you have overcome in just a few days. I am so glad you have had such positive results.
Also - guess what - I am doing really well - I am shitting like a normal person. I still have bad times but I can control it now - I take immodium when I'm going out and it helps. I feel like I'm back to normal and that the last one and a half years was just a bad dream.
You'll be there soon too - faster than me.
All the best to you and your family. I can't believe that you're already heading to a concert. Way to go Dan's liver!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan & Penny - we are so so happy to hear this wonderful news! Our thoughts & prayers are always with you and it has been lovely being kept up-to-date through your blog.

Jodi & Aaron Dupont

Anonymous said...

Fantabulous!!! You're amazing. Enjoy the concert, hope to chat soon :-)
xx Sabrina

Anonymous said...

Dan,

I can only imagine how difficult this whole ordeal has been. But you have risen above and beyond at each stage. You are one tough dude! (Honourable mention to Penny, as well!).

Let's keep this positive momentum going. Enjoy your time at home (you've earned it!) and we'll check in with you a little later.

Happy Recovery,

Dave S

Brett Leach said...

Dan.
Thats great news, although i would think having to listen to coldplay could be seen as more pain and/or suffering by anyone with real music tastes. Since you are missing that and some of liver enjoy.
Talk to you soon.