www.flickr.com

Friday, June 5, 2009

Canoeing and butt drains

It seems I don't update this page as much when I'm home enjoying the nice weather as I do when I'm marooned in a hospital bed. Now that it's raining and 5 degrees out I miraculously have been able to find time for an update.

This week has been good. The gabapentin and percoset are keeping the pain mostly at bay. I still have isolated incidents where it hurts but for the most part the pain is under control. It's nice to be able to get back in the swing of things around the house and actually contribute to the tasks at hand rather than sitting on the couch like a bump on a log. I am pretty much back to my usual self. The only household task I have trouble with is picking things up off the ground. So Penny is still stuck doing most of the clean up while I stand at the sink and do dishes. I think it's a fair trade off.

I was feeling well enough Wednesday to rent a canoe for the day and head out to the reservoir with Penny and the kids. We didn't go for long because a) my but still hurts if I sit still for too long and b) the kids have a time limit of about 45 minutes in the canoe before they need to get out and do something different. So we paddled around for a while and then sat on shore while the kids threw rocks (into the water - not at each other). We had great weather too which helped. It was about 23 degrees and sunny. Hopefully there will be many more boat trips this summer.

I have an appointment next Wednesday with Dr Buie to discuss the state of the drain in my butt. I'm hoping he'll take it out since the flow has diminished and any fluid that does come out is almost clear. He said I can have my surgery with the drain in if need be so now I'm just waiting on a call from Dr. Sutherlands office to let me know when my new surgery date is. I was going to call him today and offer a gentle reminder that I'm still waiting but we've been out all day so I guess I'll have to make that call on Monday.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Dan,
Sounds like you're having fun. I think that things are starting to get into control for me. I had a great day today - my mom, daughter and grandson came to visit. If I feel this good tomorrow, I'm going to venture out of the house. I have been walking everyday even in this rotten weather.Hopefully you hear from the surgeon on Monday.
Carol