
Today was the day for my PET scan. I've never had one before so it was all a new experience for me. Basically the PET scan is used to create a 3 dimensional image of the body highlighting areas based on their glucose uptake. An analog of glucose (Fludeoxyglucose - a radioactive positron emitting glucose molecule) is injected into the body about an hour before the scan. Sited in the body which use glucose take up the sneaky little radioactive glucose molecules so that when the scan is done, areas of high glucose uptake are highlighted. Because cancer cells use glucose at a higher rate normal cells in the body, they show up well on a PET scan.
When you go for a scan you have to go an hour early. They test your blood glucose levels and then send you to a lead encased room (no wonder why my blackberry wouldn't work!) where you get injected with a small amount of the fludeoxyglucose. Then you have to sit still for an hour while the glucose makes its way into the body. You're not allowed to move at all and reading and listening to music are even banned. I fell asleep (what else was there to do) and when they came to get me for my scan I was truly relaxed. The scan consists of an initial CT scan to calibrate the machine and to get a 3D picture on which to drop the positron emission data, followed by a half hour slow scan to get that positron emission data. It is completely painless and I nearly fell asleep again during the scan.
When I came out from my scan they were preparing the next patient. He was a little boy about Carly's age without a single hair on his head. He was excited about being weighed and measured but the parents (mum was pregnant!) looked a little nervous. The nurses had to start an IV which no 4 or 5 year old likes I'm sure. The nurses had to hold him down while they did it and the whole time he was screaming "Help me mommy! Help me daddy!". It was heartbreaking to watch. Eventually they got the fludeoxyglucose into him and then they sedated him (what 4 year old do you know would sit perfectly still for an hour then lie perfectly still for half and hour for the scan?). I left after that but I felt so bad for the boy and his parents. It made me thankful that it wasn't my child going through that. As hard as this journey has been, it would be infinitely harder to watch your own young one go through the same process.
I expect to have the results from my scan early next week if things go well. Of course I will post the results here when I get them.
3 comments:
Hi Dan,
When I read your blog my eyes was watered. I`m so proud of you, your enthusiasm is amazing, and you have to write a book about your journey.
Cancer is sucks! We have to find out the cure soon!
I hope your scan will show exactly what`s going on inside you and they could move out every little piece.
Good luck with your results
MS
I think of you everyday Dan.
Your blog is amazing to read.
Good luck with the next steps. I'm having a colonoscopy this Tuesday.
Dan
Mum and I can confirm that it is infinitely dificult to watch your child go through cancer tests and treatments. The never ending blood tests, the never ending repeating of your medical history, MRIs, scans, chemo, radiation, colon surgery, liver surgery, butt drains and glue. The waiting, wondering, praying and the imagining when you don't hear. Letting your loved one deal with it in his own way and wishing you could put a band-aid on it and give him a big hug the same as you did when he fell off his bicycle and skinned his knee. Yes it is not easy being a parent of a cancer patient.
For the last year I have been wishing that I could take this bullet for you.
Love Dad
Post a Comment