www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

All systems go for chemo.

I met with Dr Buie (colon dude) and Dr Lupichuck (chemo chick) yesterday. We discussed options surrounding the drain with Buie and ended up deciding to leave the drain in for this course of chemo. If I got infected, which could happen while I'm immunosuppressed on chemo, they would just have to put it back in again which is one of the most painful things I've ever had done. So I suggested we just leave it in.

Dr Lupichuck was a little apprehensive about starting chemo on me with the drain in. She was worried about the increased possibility of infection. We ended up agreeing to have weekly blood tests to closely monitor my WBC count and lymphocytes, factors which, if deviated significantly from normal could provide an early indication of infection. After the plans were made I got the go ahead to start my folfox chemo today.

Penny and I went in and spent about three hours in the Tom Baker cancer today getting me hooked up to my chemo. I got the drip for 2.5 hours and then got to take a bottle home for 2 days. I have to go back to get disconnected on Thursday but eventually Penny will be able to do that for me. So far things are going well. I'm sensitive to cold and hot on my hands and in my throat, I have a terrible taste in my mouth and am tired already. The cycle I'm on will last two weeks and I have 6 cycles to do now before more imaging is done. My project in the coming weeks will be to line up doctor appointments and scan dates for after this three month period. My goal is to lose as little time as possible between the end of this 3 month period of chemo and whatever comes next (either chemo or surgery?).

1 comment:

Louie said...

Take it easy - if we could all take a little piece of what you're feeling we totally would...