There seems to be a lot of hits on the blog lately. I'm sure everyone is wondering how Dan has been doing with the chemo. I thought I could share a few words. Dan's much better at this than me and should this blog ever become a book deal we'll be sure to leave my posts out of it.
Dan's been doing remarkably well. This session so far has been a lot better than I remember last September. While at the Tom Baker day care unit Dan and I watched "Wedding Crashers". Hard not to laugh at that movie. The whole process took about 3.5 hours. Dan leaves with his famous baby bottle of 5fu which slowly runs in over 46 hours. For nausea Dan takes 2 different drugs, and one is a steroid. I swear it was this drug which had him vacuuming off the atrium and cleaning light bulbs on Wednesday. He'd also been for a walk and this was all before noon! The drugs seems to be doing their job, Dan's only had a few moments of nausea and usually in the morning before he has a chance to take his meds.
Thursday morning we headed back to the Day Care Unit for a disconnect. The protocol there is for the first time you watch the nurse do the disconnect. The following time you go back and perform the disconnect in front of the nurse. By the third time you can stay at home and disconnect yourself (saves a trip to the hospital). I managed to convince the nurse not make me watch this week but rather perform the disconnect myself. She was great about it.
Dan's been tired and has the terrible taste in his mouth (imagine a handful of pennies in your mouth at all times) but he manages well, taking naps and eating frequently just for a taste change. He even took in the Hockey game last night. Sorry to say his favorite Canucks got some heat from the Flames!! Kevin and Dan each sporting a Canucks jersey. Of course they were heckled. GO Flames GO!!! (Hey it's not my blog but it's my post).
The treatment may be peaking today. Shortly after waking up and having Reiki he fell asleep on the couch. He's been there all afternoon despite the kids running through the room several times and lunch occurring right under his nose. I'm shocked he wasn't startled awake several times, but he's obviously in a deep sleep. Reiki is always good for that.
The outlook for the weekend looks much like everyone elses I bet. Hibernating from the white stuff that's suppose to fly and maybe some good naps and movies.
3 comments:
Sending lots of good thoughts and healing vibes to your family.
A stranger friend in Edmonton.
Hello there! I hope you bought some warm fuzzies to wear in the snow while you were in Vegas... it's great to read both perspectives on the blog! Miss you, love Erin
Watching, wishing and wanting nothing but healing and better days ahead ! I smiled at your Canucks / Flames banter, but was thinking more on the lines of:
" Go DAN, go ! "
Phil
Post a Comment