www.flickr.com

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Turkey Time!


I'm pretty excited about this weekend's turkey feasts. We managed to score two turkey dinners this weekend, one with Nancy and Art next door and one with Penny's family. It's going to be AWESOME!

I met with my oncologist Dr Lupichuck yesterday to discuss the goings on of my first round of chemo. It went pretty well all things considered but I had a few concerns. I got a nasty rash on my neck, chest and shoulders, was a bit depressed and had heard that sometimes this type of chemo can cause seizures! It turns out that all three problems are likely caused by the anti-nausea steroid I take for the first three days of chemo. It helps with the nausea but along with that one benefit, there are several unwanted side-effects. Her suggestion was to cut down on the steroid by half for the next round and see if things improve. I hope she's right and that helps out with some of my problems but hopefully not at the expense of vomiting my guts out.

Because of the long weekend there was trouble booking all the chemo patients in for Tuesday treatment. As a result I likely won't begin my next round of chemo until next Thursday. It's really too bad since I am feeling good and ready to get on with it. I asked her to book all my future chemo appointments right away so that this doesn't happen again. So as a result I am booked for all my treatments up until Christmas, including doctor visits and one chest-abdomen-pelvis CT scan on November 30th. It feels good to have that all sorted out but I still need to book an appointment with Dr Gelfand (thoracic guy) and figure out if I need to have a head CT and another PET scan before surgery as well. Hopefully the doctors can talk amongst themselves and figure it out.

I need to rest up for the feast tonight. Happy turkey time all!

1 comment:

Louie said...

Hope you guys had a great meal! Good to be proactive regarding the appointments :)