www.flickr.com

Thursday, September 24, 2009

PET results


We're just finishing packing for Vegas and getting ready to head to the hospital for my glue treatment this afternoon but I wanted to make a quick post about the PET scan results and meeting my thoracic surgeon.

The PET results showed three (possibly four) lesions in my lung. It also showed that there was no cancer anywhere else (good news!). Dr Gelfand (sounds a bit like a character form Lord of the Rings doesn't it?), my thoracic guy spent an hour with us yesterday reviewing the scans and talking about options. Although he wasn't able to cast a 'destroyouscancerous' spell, he did say that I am a candidate for surgery and he should be able to remove the lesions (surgically, not magically) without taking very much lung along with them. The lesions range in size from 2mm to 7mm. The surgery would involve making an incision under my right arm and part way across my back, spreading the ribs and removing the lesions by feel (no scopes or remote surgery or whatever its called - he wants to get his hands right in there so he can feel the evil stuff). He said it was my choice as to what order we do things (chemo first or surgery first) but after he conferred with Dr Lupichuck he said it might be more beneficial to do the chemo first. Penny and I both felt very good about the meeting and the options that are on the table.

So, I have more glue today, see Lupichuck Monday, maybe start chemo Tuesday and see Buie Wednesday. I may be able to delay my chemo until Wednesday after I have talked with Dr Buie and had his input on the drain situation. Until then its off to Vegas for a few nights of fun in the (hot) sun.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Great vegas pictures! How did your appointment go yesterday? Thinking of you.
Gill