www.flickr.com

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 3

Today was apparently a really nice day outside. I wouldn't know since
I'm stuck inside at the Foothills. My day went pretty well despite a
mostly sleepless night (par for the course here at the hospital). I
was up at about 7am when Penny got here. We met with the resident on
call shortly after that. There wasn't much to discuss with him so we
immediately got on with our day of sitting, lying and drinking small
amounts of clear fluid. Later in the day I progressed to walking and
snacking on pb and crackers. In a fit of madness (actually it seemed
like the best thing at the time), I asked the nurses to take me off
the epidural and put me on patient controlled iv pain meds. That
lasted all of 4 hours before I kindly asked them to turn that
beautiful pain-reducing piece of epidural magicness back on. Since
then things have been good. I had supper (on the menu it was called
chicken noodle soup but it was devoid of noodles and tasted like very
salty oatmeal), went for a few walks on the unit and even cleaned
myself up in the bathroom. As usual it's been great to have Penny here
to help me out. I realized how much she must like me today when we
found ourselves both very excited and highly entertained at the fact
that I was passing gas (a good sign my bowels are back working). Yer a
good wife Pen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy that the surgery went well! And yay for farts! Sending you happy thoughts of health and healing.
carly

Astrid said...

That is LOVE!

Unknown said...

Brent would love if I was excited about his farts. He'd be jealous ;) I too missed a beautiful day out due to being sick - you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Passing gas and love, your 5 year old self would be so proud of you! Yes Penny does rock, you're one lucky man :)

x Sabrina

Gill said...

You sound in great spirits Dan - as always. Glad the pipes are working properly. Have you pulled out the iphone app yet to compare what yours sound like? Kids had an AMAZING day yesterday. If you can believe Andrew was tentative about getting in the water at first. It took him about 30 minutes before he got in. Once he was in, however, we quickly figured out (thanks to Sandi) what "Mo Ja" means. Sending lots of love and healing power your way.
Love Gill and gang.

Anonymous said...

My dad has a saying about "the wind always being at your back". Seems kind of fitting for you...I just hope no one is standing behind you! I am so happy that you and Penny have one another. The power of love is an amazing thing.

How long will you be in the hospital? Can you have visitors?

Heidi & Mike