www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I got released from the Foothills penitentiary last night at about 7:30. It took forever for the nurses to sort out the paperwork and attempt to get some pain meds for me to take home. It turned out that Dr Buie forgot his triplicate prescription pad when he came up to see me and sign the paperwork for my release. In light of that, he asked my nurse to give me a dozen pills to get me through the night and in the morning he promised to call in the prescription to my pharmacy. So when my nurse went to get the pills, her charge nurse reminded her that it was against one of her nursing codes to give out that much medication to a patient. So in the end she had to page Dr Buie (who had already gone home) to come back, find his triplicate pad, and shoot back up to the unit and give me the script. When I found out this kerfuffle to get me drugs had escalated into a full blown goat rodeo I called home to get my mother to look through my medicine cabinet to see if I had enough pills left from a previous surgery to get me through the night. After finding the right glasses, getting a chair to stand on, and wading through the bottles and bottles of drugs in my cabinet, she informed me that I did have enough pills at home. So, my nurse page Dr Buie back and told him that I was fine for the night and he could stop looking for his pad. We reviewed my discharge instructions and I got to go merrily on my way out into the rain and home. Home sweet home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yah! Home sweet Home! Dan I am so happy that you have such a wonderful family and so much support while you are going through this battle! It is really nice that your Mom is able to be out here and lend a helping hand to you and Penny! Congrats on being released from the Penitentiary and I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing Father's Day this weekend) ♥

Jodi Dupont

Louie said...

Welcome home!!!

Couzzie Josephine said...

YAY Aunt Nicky! Glad she could hunt down the meds and you could get home. Man, what a complete debaucle. Shocking, but at the same time it seems par for the course. I'm so glad your home with Penny, inquisitive Carly, and Andrew. Take care. We're sending LOTS and LOTS of love from the island. Mum and Dad ask me for updates all the time and they are sending you big hugs and kisses. Love couzzie Josephine xxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are back home Dan!
Good that your hospital stay wasn't too bad from the sounds of it. You and Penny really are a great team.
Heal well!
Shannon
[Sorry I didn't make it up to see you as I have been away on holidays - glad to have your blog to fill me in on what's been happening though :) ]