What an amazing weekend it's been. The auction (set up and organized by Astrid and Vicky - a million thank-yous each) was an overwhelming success. I think we raised almost $25000! I would like to offer my thanks to each and every one of you that participated. Penny and I found ourselves in tears on many occasions over the weekend as Vicky called, texted or emailed updates. While I would never wish our situation on anyone, I do hope you get the opportunity to feel the love and support from your friends and family like we have over the past 2 years (and especially over the last week). The outpouring of support in the form of emails, phone calls and especially through the auction has been astounding. Thank-you doesn't seem to express accurately our true gratitude it but it's all I have. Thank-you.
In the cancer department I have two new developments to report. 1) I see my colorectal surgeon Dr Buie on Wednesday for my surgical follow up. My recovery is going well but the real meat of our meeting will focus on when I can start chemo. Because some (read all) of the chemo drugs inhibit healing I will need to make sure I am sufficiently healed from my surgery before I start chemo. I'm hoping he says I need a few more weeks but who knows. 2) I forwarded my substantial medical records to the Mayo clinic in Phoenix for them to review as a second opinion. I wanted to have an independent (and out of province) oncologist review my file to make sure that everything I'm being told here fits more or less with what an internationally renowned cancer treatment clinic would do. All that I've read and heard through word of mouth suggests that the Tom Baker Cancer Centre here in Calgary is as good as anywhere in the world but I figure it can't hurt to ask. After all, it is a matter of life and death...
5 comments:
Love you guys xxx
Astrid
Yay! So happy the auction was such a success. Glad to hear your recovery is going well and keeping my fingers crossed that it continues that way.
Such great news on the auction! I feel a lot of hope in this post - looking forward to hearing what the second opinion shows.
Sending lots of strength,
Heidi & Mike
So happy you had a win this weekend!!
It just makes good sense to get a second opinion, we are also looking forward to hearing about it.
Lots of love,
Sabrina and Mark
Good call on checking out the Mayo clinic. Nav and I did the same thing (but at MD Anderson in Texas)...it's always wise to get some other perspectives!
Have a great Canada Day Dan!
Nish
Post a Comment