www.flickr.com

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

hospital internet!

There is free internet in the hospital! Thanks to Astrid's laptop I can provide more detailed updates now. Right now its 4:25 pm. I just got back to the bed after my first short walk. Because I have a foley catheter and an ileostomy, I really have no need to get out of bed other than to stretch the legs. Its kind of cool actually, I could stay in bed all day if I wanted to. Think of the efficiency at work if everyone had a foley and an ileostomy!

The epidural works AWESOME. I have a little pain but only about 1 or 2 out of 10. As Penny posted below, the surgery went well. They got all the nasty bits out of the colon and the liver metastases were smaller than they expected. All very good news.

Penny stayed with me in the hospital until about 2am to be my gopher. She was fetching juice and water and ice and helping me get comfortable. After Penny went home Penny's mom came out and stayed with me for the rest of the night. My parents took over this morning and have been here all day. Penny even brought Carly in to see her dad and watch a movie. So far things are going well and I hope they will continue along that path.

Thanks to all of you for your support and warm wishes. There have been lots of visitation requests but that might best be left until tomorrow or the next day. I will update the blog with the visitation details when the time is right.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband has a cousin who is infamous for staying in a hot tub for 6 hours and not coming out. I'll pass on the catheter tip to him for next time :) Not that anyone invites him to hot tub parties anymore!

Hopefully surfing the net will help the boredom factor at the hospital. Glad to hear the epidural is doing it's job and that you are doing well.

Astrid said...

That is awesome news! I think most people would probably prefer the 24 Hr gopher service over the foley & ostomy!

Louise said...

I think some surgeons catheterize themselves so they can do the really long surgeries... Maybe geologists could start to increase productivity logging core! So glad to hear that everything went so well, that the news was so good and that you are feeling well. Sending lots of love from Toronto,
L

Anonymous said...

Yeah Dan!!!

I'm so glad everything went well and you're able to get up and walk around. I'm not to sure about the catheter and ileostomy at work though, I think it would eb to boring to sit in my office all day. I already goa bit crazy with the amount of time I spend at my desk.

Good luck with your recovery!

Anonymous said...

Great to read that all went well and you're on the road to recovery, Dan. We've all been thinking of you (all 4 of us!).

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan! Glad to heard things are going well - we are always thinking of you and Penny and sending positive vibes!

Nish and Nav