www.flickr.com

Friday, February 13, 2009

Freaky Friday

How very fitting. I don't really like being the one to write and update everyone on the blog. Dan is so much better at it, and he usually is very specific in what he wants to say. I'm having to wing this one solo.

First off we just wanted to share a congratulations to Dan's cousin Amy and he new hubby Mike. They were married today/possibly right now, in New Zealand (it's already Valentines Day there).

Dan's suffered his worst day yet (his words to me as I arrived for the late afternoon/evening shift). I spent the night last night, and he mostly slept well, though he's been having trouble getting things to exit the right way. When I left at 8am he was getting nauseous again. He's been very sick, despite NO food or water. I still can't figure out where the stuff is coming from, but as the nurses say, your intestines produce their own secretions... sure seems like a lot.

The Dr's made a few changes today. They added sugar and potassium to his IV, which was good, but unfortunately that has kept him awake all day. The final change today was an NG tube. Dan was really dreading this, and through our conversations with Dr Buie before surgery he was very encouraged thinking he wouldn't need one. Unfortunately everybody is different. How your body reacts to such a traumatic thing is so individual. The NG tube has really helped, as he's not nearly as nauseous. Unless the tube gets bumped, and the gag reflex is triggered.

Dan is a very head strong person as I'm sure you can all see. I know in his mind he thought he would be feeling better by today/Friday. Feeling his worse has deflated him. I wish he could see how incredible he is doing. He never ceases to amaze me, today being no different. It's so difficult in this situation to be rational. How well do any of you think after 5 days without food... I hope you never have to find out. With more and more tubes added he pushes on. He is insistent about getting up and walking to try and get his gut moving and keeping his lungs clear.

From such a positive post from Dan himself on Wednesday to me asking for no visitors I'm sure this raised some questions. I try to imagine what the wondering minds out there are wanting to know and I hope I helped.

You must slide all the way down your slide before you can climb back up.

Penny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thinking about you and wanting to say - sure hope you`re feeling lots better today !
Big hug for Dan, Peggy, kids and all family members
MS

Anonymous said...

You both are doing an awesome job!! I am sure it is hard for you to watch Dan go through all this Penny! You guys are an amazing support to each other! That is one never-changing, and awesome thread anyone can tell by reading the blog! Hopefully Mr. head-strong Dan can allow himself to be a little less hard on himself! I hope he feels better by the day very soon!! Hugs to you both!!
ade