www.flickr.com

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Rosedale Hospice

Well many of you were aware from Dan's last post that things have changed drastically. What you may not realize is seeing Dan at home we all saw this coming. He is so positive with his outlook on everything, including this horrible final chapter his is enduring. He asked me about that last post of his. He had written it, feeling very down and lost that day. I encouraged him to post it, as I think you all need to know both sides of this journey he and all of us are on.

Dan was moved today to the Rosedale Hospice. It's such a beautiful spot with very caring people all around. It was hard on all of us in my home right now. Bruce and Nicky (Dan's parents), and Carly Andrew and Bradley who were all home, to watch him leave his home for the final time.

Dan's liver seems to be the biggest problem and with its failure to clean up the blood, there's a lot of junk getting to his brain. He very muddled and confused which is very hard to watch. His short term memory is shot! The only blessing there is he really isn't too aware all the time of what's going on. But then he's saying he is going to just run down 3 flights of stairs and grab himself some whip cream for his pie, or zip out to the camera store... saying to me "I just want to look!" He hasn't even walked with a walker in weeks. Funny, sad, hard to watch. They all come to mind.

I will try to keep everyone posted, as you all have been so good at keeping us in your thoughts and/or prayers. What an amazing out pore of support we have had. You all fill us up with love and food and encouragement each day, thank you.

It's my birthday tomorrow, and all I want is to spend the day with Dan, my best friend, my love, my husband, the father of my children and my life. It all branches from him.
I just hunted for a picture of Dan and I. This is from October 2007 when Dan ran a marathon.
Why isn't there more pictures of JUST Dan and I?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this beautiful, honest post Penny. Sending love to you all, and especially you tomorrow. xoxo Amelia

Anonymous said...

Sending you all so much love right now and always.
xoxo Louise

Anonymous said...

Sending you love....

The Stookes xoxoxo

Heidi said...

So much love.
Heidi, Mike, Sophie, & Aida

Anonymous said...

Penny, we're so glad Dan is in a place of beauty with the people he loves the most around him. Having as much love & support around you is a credit to both you and Dan… You are both super inspiring and amazing people & we feel SOOOOO blessed to have you in our life. I hope tomorrow you get the day you need and want with that gorgeous husband of yours. Sending all our love, N, A & H xxxxxx

Unknown said...

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Much love and light to you all!

Beck & Tony xx

Carly said...

Thank you for your post, Penny. Happy Birthday, and lots of love to you and Dan. We think of you both and your little ones often here on the West Coast. xo
- Carly & Jerome

Anonymous said...

A very heartfelt post Penny. My thoughts and love are with you guys. Wishing you a good day tomorrow with that awesome man of yours.
Love Nat

Anonymous said...

Dan is by far the toughest guy I know. This is a wonderful post and a beautiful blog Penny. All my best to you, Dan and the little ones.

RDub

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words, Panny. You and Dan have been so open, and taken us along on this journey of strength, courage, love and pain. I admire you both, and send you warm Birthday wishes for today. Your family is in my constant thoughts and prayers.

Loriann

Anonymous said...

Penny, you have both been so open and honest through this whole journey. You have taught so many people about courage and love by just being who you are. Love is eternal.

Anonymous said...

You truely get to know someone in a time of struggle, who they are, what they're made of, and Dan is an amazing person.

I know I haven't spent much time with you guys since UVic, but through Dan's postings I feel like I've gotten to know him better. His radiant positivity is inspiring. He is a great man in every sense of the word. I feel lucky to know him, and lucky to have gotten to know him more through his postings.

Penny, I've always known you as a strong person. I can't think of anyone with more fortitude, who could handle something this unimaginably difficult. I read these postings, and I want to be more like Dan. I want to be more like the both of you. Thanks for that.

You and Dan probably know each other now on levels that most people will never fathom. Perhaps that's a gift if there is such a thing in this situation.

Erika and I are thinking of you and your family in this difficult time.

Greg.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Dan & Penny...Carly, Andrew & Bradley... Love to all of you!

Jodi, Aaron, Ryleigh & Blake

Peggy C said...

Penny,
What to say? Dan is in the right place - the Rosedale Hospice is a beautiful, comforting environment - they will take excellent care of him as you have!
Sending warmth, strength, love and comfort,
Peggy

Anonymous said...

We are wishing you all the strength you need to get through this. Dan is an amazing person and I wish all had more time to spend together

we are thinking of you

The Harris family

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all, sending my love....

Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. You are both incredibly strong people! Hugs and love!
Nisha

Anonymous said...

Penny and Dan,

Your strength and courage is beyond words. I have been inspired many times by your actions in these trying times.
Always thinking of, and wishing the best for you.

Dwayne

Katherine Crerar said...

Love and peace to you all. Thank you for sharing your strength and pain.

Anonymous said...

Its been a long journey so many ups and downs....Dan has been and is an inspiration to so many. I still smile when I think of you ( then 3) at Boucherie....you are amazing people and Tracy keeps me posted on your status. She sent me this link. Sending you all intention for peace and comfort. Dan is so well loved, the whole family is. Take refuge there. xoxo Lesley in BC

Kris and Krista said...

Wishing you all the strength and love to overcome this difficult time. We think of you and your beautiful family often.
Best wishes from the Jewetts