I busted out of the hospital last night just before supper time after we got the results of the blood cultures and drain culture back. The blood cultures were clean but the drain culture showed one bug living in there that probably wouldn't be killed by the antibiotics I was taking before. So I got released with a new antibiotic to take and plans to stay off chemo for at least 2 more weeks while this infection gets under control.
While I was there I also got the results from my latest CT scan which was good! There is basically no change cancer-wise in the past 2 months. All my mets are stable and there is nothing new. The radiologist did mention that there was some inflammation along the track of my drain with associated "inflammatory infiltrates" (I think he made that phrase up) and a small pocket of air. This combined with a new bug in the drain fluid was likely the cause of my sepsis last week.
So now we wait some more for the antibiotics to do their thing. I meet with Lupichuck on September 9th and Buie on September 12th to discuss surgical options and chemotherapy plans. Until then I plan to get back to work a bit and enjoy what's left of summer, hopefully from home and not from the hospital.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Back Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Great news about your CT scan!
That`s a great news Dan! Kill this bug and enjoy the rest of the summer.
Big Hug from MS
great, great news! hooray!
sophie overheard me talking to mike about this post. she said: "i think it's time for dan's body to run out of this cancer. it's time". agreed.
have a great fall!
heidi
ps have you heard of Great Lake Swimmers? they are my latest music obsession.
Hope the new antibiotics wipe out that bug. Awesome news on the ct scan. Woot!
Great news on the scan! And glad to hear you are now on an antibiotic that will be effective against that one bug. This drain is a serious pain in the a_ _. Literally. I hope Dr. Buie comes up with some good ideas on how to nip this in the butt. Sorry about the puns; feeling punny today I guess. In other news, Dad got a scooter! He can't really walk and so this is a great option for him to get around!
Thats great news Dan, beat that bug & enjoy late summer/early fall. Might even see you in the fall ;-) AW
Post a Comment