Last week's scan showed, as I suspected, that the tumours in my lungs had grown. They range in size from 1-7mm and affect all lobes of both lungs. The radiologist who reviewed the scan did not comment on the number of tumours in my lungs or their specific locations or the relative growth of individual tumours relative to my last scan in May. I believe the scan then showed multiple tumours ranging in size from 1-5mm. If I put my post secondary math skills into action I can arrive at the conclusion that the largest tumour grew by 2mm between scans.
The real question, for which there is no clear answer at this point, is this: Is the chemo working? One might infer from the growth of the spots that the chemo is ineffective but I don't believe you could draw that conclusion yet. Since my last scan in May I did no chemo in June, one round in July and one round in August. For September and October I was on chemo full time. So did the tumours grow in June, July and August when I was doing little or no chemo and then stay stagnant while I was on chemo in September and October? Did they grow for June, July and August and then shrink in September and October? Or is my cancer slow growing and has been growing slowly and steadily since my scan in May regardless of the fact I've been on chemo? The answer to those questions is not really clear at this point.
So, looking ahead there are 4 options.
1) Stop chemo altogether.
2) Stay the course and continue my modified FolFiri + bevicizumab protocol (no IV pump)
3) Go back to an unmodified FolFiri+bevacizumab protocol (with IV pump)
4) Take part in a phase 1 clinical trial.
Option 1 is appealing in the short term but may not yield the best results.
The main difference between option 2 and 3 is that right now I don't have to wear an IV pump home for two days after I get the rest of my chemo. This IV pump is set up to deliver a steady dose of chemo (5Fu) for 46 hours. The oncologist I visited at the Mayo clinic said I didn't need the 5Fu and that I could cut it out of my treatment here. I was game for that since having the extra chemo infused for two extra days prolongs the length of the side effects I have. The side effects aren't terrible but still, that's 2 days of my life I'll never get back. The problem with cutting the 5Fu out is that at the beginning of my treatment 2 years ago I did 5 weeks straight of radiation and 5Fu. I wore that damn bottle for what felt like an eternity and it made me feel like crap. When they did my liver resection my surgeon said he could see that the spots in my liver had been partially killed somehow (I forget the exact words he used). Since the radiation I had was focused on my colon (yup, it's as fun as it sounds) and not my liver, the only thing that could have messed up my liver tumours would be the 5Fu. So with that in mind, perhaps going back to the full dose of 5Fu might be worthwhile.
The 4th option is for me to take part in a phase one clinical trial. The first phase of a clinical trial is one step (small) removed from animal trials. This particular trial is for a drug that was designed for use in patients with advanced stage cancers that can't be treated with other protocols. It is non cancer specific, meaning they don't know exactly which cancers it will be effective in treating. While it might be exciting to be part of a trial, I'm not keen on abandoning ship on my FolFiri treatments just yet. Dr Lupichuck also hinted that there is another clinical trial coming to the Tom Baker Centre that is specific for colon cancer patients. She said it's a couple months away from being started and would likely be better suited to my cancer than the current clinical trial.
In the end we decided to go with option 3. This option means wearing the IV pump home for two days after treatment and possibly feeling a little more crapped out than my treatments over the past few months. So the plan is do option 3 for two months and get another CT scan. That scan should give a more conclusive answer as to whether or not this chemo protocol is working for me.
I forgot to mention the good part about my CT results today. The scan showed no visible cancer anywhere else in my body (yipee!). It also showed that my abscess (the one with the drain) has not enlarged over the past 5 or so months. This means the drain is doing its job and keeping the fluid from accumulating down there and causing an infection.
If you were me what would you do? Feel free to leave a comment.
9 comments:
Hey Dan,
Good news on the abscess! As for your options, I have no idea what I would do. I think that I would be tempted to take option 1 for a period of time, to be free of hospitals and all the gross side effects of treatment. On the other hand, it would scare me to take such a risky step. I think that either options 2 or 3 sound like good courses of action. I feel bad for you that your side effects will be prolonged. Will that interfere with your return to work?
Happy Birthday to Carly! Sophie turned 6 on the 7th - it's exciting to see them grow up, but I must admit I felt a bit sad! Hope all of you had a great time.
You continue to amaze me with your strength!
Heidi
PS Check out The Weepies
PPS Did you hear that Matt Good is having a son?
Hey Dan,
I hope you chose the right for you and finally the end of this year everything will be handle and stop this ugly and s...t cancer. I will go with option 2 without any IV pump. It just a surplus that you really don`t need.
I heard that marihuana oil the perfect cancer killer. I feel sad because I want to help you, but I don`t know how or which way.
Please give a chance to the natural medicine doctor as I mentioned before. They are amazing and they will help you. My stepfather has a colon cancer and now he is cancer free, because of them.
Dan please please go there and try this natural medicine clinic.
Located within The Riverside Club at Point McKay
Corner of Memorial Drive & Shaganappi Trail NW
200 110 Point Mckay Cr NW Calgary, AB T3B 5B4
PH: (403) 270 - 9355 FX: (403) 237 - 0747
Clinic Hours
Monday:9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday:9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday:9:00 am -7:00 pm
Thursday:9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday:9:00 am - 1:00 pm
big hug from MS
Well I think CANCER SUCKS and I would like to go with Option 5 which is a cancer free holiday in Maui.
To me Option 1 is not an option (right now) in that something could be working and so why risk giving that up. There may be a point when you this is the best option but I don't think this is the time.
I think Option 3 sounds the best (good choice). You know it has had an effect and since the liver is close to the lungs ... I hope it has the same effect on those nasty tumors.
Considering the cancer has never really made you sick (just the treatment) and now that you have that awesome anti-nausea med ... I say giver ... easy to say because I'm not the one getting the treatment. You still have fight in you which means that 2-4 are your best choices ...
LOVE & HUGS
Astrid
Hey Dan
I think you chose the best option - it is always hard deciding a course of action that has such long ranging consequences. I will await your next CT results and then decide the next course of action from there.
Keep on truckin
Great news about the rest of your body being cancer free though!!
XX
Fiona
Hi Dan
I think you took the right option, and I am hoping you feel better and looking forward to seeing you at work, I also really liked the Robisons option 5 and going to maui, I know you can not go cancer free but you can have fun in the sun.
kelly anne
You are the only one who can make decisions for you and your family. I remember Shawndra's oncologist once told her she would know when her body had enough and when it was healing. Another possibility with you chemo is that it has slowed the growth even if the tumors are still growing. So, no matter what something is working and cancer is a terrible thing...I wish someone could bring awareness to young adults with cancer!!
I would never second guess your choice - you know exactly what you are talking about - personally, I forget what the difference is between a modified and an unmodified folfiri - so would be a very poor medical advisor.
I think the tone of the blog is positive - and that is good news.
Soldier on!
Peggy
OK option one is no option soooo out...
Option #2... Hmmm,safe but safe is boring...you aren't boring my friend...
Option #3 Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Good choice... Agressive, feisty and full of lively cancer ass-kicking attitude! You had a cleat in your temple buddy, you can so do this! Please try to remember for your sanity, even though the severity of this treatment sucks...this time around you have as little bit more drug reief/support that you know works that will help make this stomp on your head crap-road a tiny bit smoother...and you have guts, man do you have guts. I truly wish you were playing rugby instead too Dan.
Then harass the heck out of Dr. L to speed up the 'hinted at' clinical trial and get your feisty arse involved in that asap.
Last but not the least...
The not listed as an option but should be Option FIVE.. my absolute fav...MAUI!
These are only the opinions of a very unmedical extreme believer of your ability,
Love you buddy,
Trace
Keep the batmobile moving, Dan. The Joker can still be beaten.
Erryl
Post a Comment