www.flickr.com

Monday, October 4, 2010

Daryl Gourlay

When I was diagnosed with cancer a little over two years ago, a co-worker of mine at EnCana was diagnosed at almost exactly the same time with the same disease. I didn't know Daryl, or his wife Jan or any of their boys at the time, but we became good friends over the course of our individual battles. Jan actually stopped me at the hospital one day and introduced herself. She knew me from my blog and we had a great conversation for an hour outside the Tom Baker centre. Daryl and I also spent some time in the hospital together. Some days he would totter up to visit me on my unit and others I would venture down to the ER or to his unit, IV pole in tow, gown flapping in the wind, to visit and share war stories about the "Chateau Foothills". Penny and I continue to draw on their strength and humour and are still in awe at how they managed to keep up with 4 boys, all of which were at one time or another playing hockey.

It is therefore with great sadness that I announce that Daryl passed away last night with his family at his side. I don't know what to say or what to write. What can you say? Nothing seems to quite cut it at a time like this. It's just a sad day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news Dan - our thoughts are with the Gourlay family.

Take care!

Jodi & Aaron

Anonymous said...

What a horrible loss, my heart breaks for him and his family.

xx Sabrina and Mark

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear this news. I remember Penny telling me about when you met Jan for the first time. My thoughts are with them.