www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Never Underestimate the Power of a Detemined Wife


In University our friends used to joke that when there was a tough discussion to have or a disagreement with a prof or anyone, it would be nice to have a "Pocket Penny" to pull out and take over the tough conversation for you. Penny was always passionate and relentless when she believed in something. It's one of her many great attributes. So when I told her that I was booked in for chemo on Thursday instead of Tuesday she got on the horn with the Tom Baker day care chemo people and started politely inquiring about why I had been bumped to Thursday. In the course of her discussions she got offered times on Wednesday but held her ground and said that today was really the only time it would work. As a result we got a call half an hour ago from my chemo nurse saying that they would be ready for me at 3:15 today. As we've learned time and time again in this process it pays to be the polite squeaky wheel.

So Sandi is here to look after the kids and Penny and I are off to the hospital in the snow to watch a movie and get juiced up with round two of chemo. Good times...

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Good luck with Round 2! Hope all goes well and that you don't feel a ton of side effects. Glad you have Penny on your team. :)

Your Edmonton Stranger Friend.

Astrid said...

Way to go Penny! I like "Pocket Penny" you could also go with "Persistant Penny"

Gill said...

I love Penny. Let me know when pocket Penny hits prototype stage. I will be part of the test market.

Anonymous said...

Penny. You rock.

Louie said...

I love 'Pocket Penny' too - she rocks!!!

Gill said...

Hey Dan:
On a more serious note, Penny having one of those "tough discussions" with me 3 years ago (almost to the day actually) I believe saved my life. Having her on your side, having these tough discussions and confrontations with nurses, doctors, booking clerks, parents and I'm sure even you - will save your life - I believe that too. None of this is explainable or fair in any way. I can't imagine what you are going through, or what Penny is going through, but if she would go out of her way to help me, I can only imagine to what lengths she will go to for you. Watch out Tom Baker - Pocket Penny has been unleashed:-) As I said in my last comment - I love Penny!
Hang in there Dan.
Gill

Anonymous said...

Penny and Dan you`re rock. Good luck with your 2nd treatment.
You are the most lucky person in the world that you have Penny...
Keep going guys and fight with them.
MS

Couzzie Josephine said...

“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”
You are both lucky to have such a great teammate in this unfortunate circumstance. Working together has hopefully made this a much less difficult task. Dan, your attitude is incredible; commendable! Penny, your work ethic, resolution and energy are amazing! GO TEAM, GO! All my love, Couzzie Josephine xoxo