www.flickr.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Some good news on cancer treatment

good news article on cancer treatment.

On a more personal note. I have decided not to participate in the phase 3 clinical trial at the Tom Baker testing a new chemo drug, regorafenib, on colon cancer patients. I will instead be continuing with my conventional (and unconventional) cancer treatments including chemotherapy.

The decision was a tough one, but we feel good about it and well informed about therapies going forward. We decided not to participate because:
1) In a previous worldwide phase 3 clinical trial involving 750 patients, regorafenib increased overall median survival by a measely1.4 months.
2) Side effects with regorafenib can be worse than those with my previous treatments.
3) Regorafenib shows a preference in working better with colon cancer than rectal cancer (my primary site was rectal)
4) If I did the trial I would not be able to continue on any other conventional OR alternative therapies (including other trips to Germany). It seemed like an "all your eggs in one basket" type scenario.
5) There is no conclusive evidence that the therapies I am doing now aren't helping.
6) I can always try to get on the clinical trial later on in the year OR just get put on the drug once it gets approved for use in Canada if my current therapies shows signs of not working.
7) I have a baby coming soon and need flexibility in treatment scheduling. In a clinical trial there are more trips to the hospital for checkups and less flexibility in scheduling and taking breaks.

That's all for now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a good and well thought out plan Dan.

Vicky xo

Heidi said...

I love your list! The plan sounds like a good one.

We'll be in Canmore for Spring Break - bring C & A for a swim!

I discovered two new acoustic Matt Good songs. Holy man, he's awesome.

Heidi, Mike, Sophie, & Aida