www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Kentucky Fried Chicken Pox

There is a light at the end of the tunnel tonight.

Firstly, I feel MUCH better, pretty much normal in fact. I still have a slight headache and some fatigue but it's nothing compared to what I came in here with on Saturday.

I met with the infectious disease team here at the Foothills Hospital today and they were able to shed some light on my current predicament. Apparently the viral meningitis that I have was caused by some sort of reactivation of the chicken pox virus that I got as a child. I guess once you've had it you always have it and carry it around for the rest of your life like that "participant" ribbon you got for grade 4 track and field. I suppose it saw an opportunity to get back into the action with my recent chemo-induced immune-suppressed state so it headed up to the periphery of my brain to party. For some people a reactivation of the chicken pocks virus shows up as shingles and for others, meningitis.

The plan for me now is to go home tomorrow (it feels like I've been her forever!). I need to stay on the anti-viral acyclovir for another 2 weeks so first thing tomorrow I will meet with home care and the pharmacy and get set up for a pump and some IV drugs to take with me so I can go home and not sit around the hospital for a fortnight bored to death. At this point I will be ready for my release back into society having paid my debt to the great chicken pock (may he fry somewhere in 11 secret herbs and spices).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serious? That's wild! I didn't know that the virus could travel up a nerve path to the brain. Makes sense, but it seems so crazy to even think about. Sophie had shingles last year and it was quite painful for her. Can't imagine how awful your headache must have been. Glad you are home.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Wow Every time I learn something for you. I didn`t know that..Finally you will be home and get rid of this meningitis monster soon:))go and get some head massage it will help with your headache
Pump up your energy with some beer:))
MS

Gill said...

Emileigh got her first participant ribbon yesterday for Grade 2 x-country run. Somehow seems like relevant milestone now:-)
Have an awesome day going home! Hopefully you're discharged with the morning crew.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Dan. I knew about the shingles/chicken pox connection but the meningitis thing was news to me. Looking forward to seeing you around the office!

Anonymous said...

I have no words except, you are an exceptional human being who seems to see the positive in everything!

Now go home already!! Say hi to the fam!

Love Ms. Wendy