www.flickr.com

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Munich Day One and der Hodensack

So far so good in Munich. I tried to upload pictures to Flickr but the combination of no outgoing email and a poorly designed Flickr app means I could only upload thumbnails. Better than nothing I guess. It was cool here today, probably a high of -1 or so(?). The wind made toques and gloves necessary for all the walking around. We walked into the centre of town (~15 minutes or so) and did a sort of self guided walking tour of all the sights. We saw a couple of neat churches (they don't bother with small ones here!), went to the Munich museum, had a beer at the haufbrauhouse and did a little shopping. Munich is easy to walk around but if you like, the transit system seems to be very efficient. We are headed out for a light supper soon then bed. Not sure exactly what we'll get up to tomorrow, so much to see and so little time...

On the language front we're lucky most people speak English. We are both lost when it comes to German as some of the words are downright comical and invariably difficult to wrap our unseasoned tongues around. So far I know only 4 real German words. Bitte = please, Danke = thank you, nein = no and hodensack = scrotum. That last one doesn't fit I know. I'll blame it on Courtenay for lending us her English/German picture dictionary. It's a real useful book but rather than putting all the useful phrases and words up front, they start right in on human anatomy. Literally the first page I opened had the male human body and I laughed for a long time at the German word for scrotum, so I guess it stuck in my head. I'll have to try and venture past the human anatomy pages before our next venture outside so I have a chance at learning a word I can actually use.

I guess that's all for now.

4 comments:

Louie said...

Welcome to Germany!!! Looks beautiful, glad you'll get a few days to get over your jet lag and do some sight seeing. May the "love affair" with Europe begin now... :)
Ask Penny is she's glad she brough the long coat?!?! ;)
Love,
S, K & A

Unknown said...

I'm sure the transit there puts ours to shame. At least if you see the word hodensack on a menu - you know what you are getting into ;)

Love the pics!
Jen

Anonymous said...

I found some german basic words for you guys.
Basic Phrases Thank you. Danke.
Thank you very much. Vielen Dank.
You're welcome. Bitteschön.
Please. Bitte.
Yes. Ja.
No. Nein.
Excuse me. Entschuldigen Sie bitte.
Pardon me. Entschuldigung.
I'm sorry. Es tut mir leid.
I don't understand. Das verstehe ich nicht.
I don't speak German. Ich spreche kein Deutsch.
I don't speak German very well. Ich spreche nicht sehr gut Deutsch.
Do you speak English? Sprechen Sie Englisch?
Speak more slowly, please. Bitte, sprechen Sie langsam.
Repeat, please. Bitte wiederholen.
What's your name? Wie heißen Sie?
How are you? Wie geht es Ihnen?
Do you speak English? Sprechen Sie Englisch?
Where is the subway? Wo ist die U-Bahn?
Is the tip included? Ist das Trinkgeld inbegriffen?
How much does that cost? Wieviel kostet das?
Is there a public phone here? Gibt es hier eine öffentliche Telefonzelle?
Can I get on the internet? Kann ich ins Internet gehen?
Can you help me? Können Sie mir helfen?
Where is the bathroom? Wo ist das WC?

Enjoy your trip and try more german beer, they are extremely good.
MS

Jill Dreger said...

Dan,

If you get a chance go on the Sandemans New Europe free walking tour in Munich. It is FANTASTIC! You will learn so much more about the city by going on the tour than if you just walk around on your own. Plus...it's FREE (you just tip at the end!) Here is the website for the company: http://www.neweuropetours.eu/

Cheers,
Jill Dreger