This will be my second Christmas as a cancer survivor. The year has been filled with ups and downs but I have to say that overall it's been a great year. Having the chance to spend an entire year at home with my family has been a treat. Watching the kids grow up on a daily basis is an experience that not many fathers get to have these days. Although I was sick or recovering from surgery for part of the year, I have to say that my memories are mostly positive.Over the past year I have gleaned a load of positive energy from my family but I have definitely enjoyed more than my fair share of support from friends, acquaintances and even people I've never met. Friends sent food, arranged for a maid service and even sent $ to help out with extraneous medical costs and bills. People from all over Canada and the world have sent emails, commented on the blog, sent $, gift cards and encouraging notes. Family has been generous with their time and money. Other cancer survivors have heard about my struggle and have cheered me along. In short, this battle with cancer has given me the opportunity to realize how much people care about my life, my family and my battle.
So what can I say to all those who have been there for me over the past 16 months? Somehow "thanks" just doesn't seem to cut it, but it is indeed a heartfelt "thanks". I have one other thing to say: If you're over 50, have a family history of colon cancer or are experiencing symptoms, ask your doctor about being screened for colon cancer. As I've said before, it could save your life.
Our deepest thanks to all,
Dan, Penny, Carly and Andrew
2 comments:
Dan and Pen, you two never cease to fill me with awe...I can't imagine having to battle the big C and yet you do it with grace, hadn't thought that was possible. There's a reason why you've found such support, and I hope you already know, what amazing friends and generally awesome people you are! Wishing you the very best in 2010- Sabrina, Mark, Ciara and Sophie.
We are all so proud of you Dan Tuttles..from near and far!! Happy New Year to you and Penny and the kids!! Happy almost birthday eh! You are inspiring many! (including me)!...hope the round of chemo goes okay..ade
Post a Comment