I'm almost done my radiation/chemo double bill. Tomorrow I go in to have my empty chemo bottle disconnected and Tuesday I will have my last radiation treatment. Yahoo! It feels like its been so long living tethered to a bottle and charting my every bowel movement.
My radiation tech Shannon made me this t-shirt. She and all the radiation people have been helpful and encouraging during these past few very challenging weeks. They always have good advice and something new to try if you're unhappy with how things are going. Imodium and Advil turned out to be the two key ingredients for management of the radiation side-effects but I tried a bazillion other things too.
Right now I'm looking forward to the upcoming month or so with no planned treatments. Upcoming non-hospital related events include the James Blunt concert this week and a trip to Victoria in December. Dave and Dave are planning a visit from the island in 2 weeks and my brother Matt is also threatening to come for a visit. It's shaping up to be a very busy month off!
The rest of treatment plan (following this round of chemo and radiation) is up in the air until I meet with my colorectal surgeon a week from tomorrow. At that time I expect to get a surgery date (sometime in mid January?) as well as a rough plan for future treatment/surgery. I will also likely find out I have to go for more tests (CT scans and ultrasound) before my surgery. I hope we also get to discuss the details/plans for the surgery including recovery time, pre-surgery prep (NG tube?, fasting?), pain management and the dreaded stoma (temporary or permanent?). Some of these questions he won't have answers to until closer to the surgery or even after the surgery but I have my list ready!
Thanks again to all of you who have sent food, helped out with the kids, or contributed to the parking at the hospital and the house cleaning during the past few weeks. It has all been very much appreciated and needed.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Got Imodium?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment