www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Love of Fall

Terry Fox Run


Well I'm sure there are many of you out there wondering how these Tutts are doing. We're doing pretty good. Summer was great, the kids and I spent time on the coast with Dan's Mom and Dad (Nicky and Bruce) and there isn't one bad thing to say about the weather we had. Gorgeous!

The kids have settled into school really well. Carly in grade 4 and Andrew in grade 1. Big adjustment for Andrew but he was more than ready and is doing great, just like his big sister. Bradley continues to grow and change always testing the limits and making everyone smile around him. Early in the summer he finally gave up crawling for RUNNING.... and there's been no stopping him.

Bradley in the Rain

I think about Dan almost every minute. Most of the time I just smile at a memory or my angry.. "where did you put that Dan!" moment. Sometimes I cry, because I miss him so much it hurts to even take a breath. I am reminded of how hard the end was for him and I'm so glad that's over for him, and us. I feel how how much work and stress life was for us. I see it now. We didn't know it then. I feel sad that he never got to know the after.... the calm our house has. Amongst the tears there is a lot of laughter again, something I know he would love. I honestly never knew how funny my daughter was. I couldn't hear or see it before. He knew. I love, as I always did, seeing Dan in the kids. 

I love to talk about him. I think people understand that. I love a memory shared, or a joke at his expense or mine, it makes me feel good. It's the only closeness to him I get anymore. This is such an incredibly hard journey for everyone, not just me and the kids. I think actually we were more prepared than the rest of you. I started my grieving with Dan. We grieved his death together for months and months before he died. Thank God I had him to help me through some of it. 

I love fall. The colours, the crisp air, the calmer winds. Dan took amazing photos this time of year. Like the one that boarders this blog. Gorgeous blue sky with bright yellow aspen leaves. I miss him.

8 comments:

Louie said...

I just happened upon this update this morning. Love it. Glad you are on here. The blog also keeps Dan "alive" in our memories as well. Love you Penny. xoxoxoxo

Megith said...

You've got such an amazing outlook as always Penny. Hugs to you and I'm glad you're in on the secret of how funny that Carly is and I'm glad that we ran in to you not once not twice but three times in the grocery store yesterday. Love you much.
Megan

Gill said...

Wow, that's for sharing all this Penny. You are simply amazing. Love you guys to the moon and back.

Heidi said...

Hi Penny~
Thank you so much for this blog post. I still find myself checking Dan's blog every week or so, hoping that there will be one of his hilarious rants or philosophical musings on life. In the short time that I knew Dan, he made a significant impact on my overall outlook as well as my professional work with my patients. I enjoyed geeking out with him via email about photography and music; however, I have to admit that I was a bit taken aback to find out that he liked country music. Gross Dan, gross. :) His honesty was refreshing and it was such a gift to be invited into your family's journey. Whenever I think about Dan, I remember one of your trips to Canmore to see us. He was sitting on the patio and our youngest dive bombed him and kneed him right in the crotch. Dan's face turned beet red and I swear I saw a few tears. Time sort of stood still in that moment. But he laughed and laughed. Again, his uncanny ability to find humour shone through.

Keep updating when you can! And come up for a visit anytime. xxoo

Love,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update penny- brett

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny - Great seeing you at the dance tonight. If you ever need anything, please let me know. I know you used to get together with the girls for coffee at Indigo. Not sure if you are still doing that, but if you need babysitting or anything of that nature - give me a shout. Take care - Lisa C. (lisawirth@shaw.ca)

Gina D said...

Hi Penny,
Thank you for this post - we have been thinking of you and the kids. It is funny how often I am reminded of Dan whether a humorous memory of him comes up in conversation, or a student in one of my classes reminds me of him in high school, which is how I ended up at the blog today. Thinking about all those band/camping trips, P.E. classes,and general Dan "antics" make me smile. Hopefully one day our paths will cross again and I can tell you in person :) You have a whole other group of extended friends in Vancouver and if ever you guys are in town don't hesitate to contact us. It would be great to get the kids together at a park or the Aquarium.
Take Care,
Gina, Bryn, Owen,and Grayson

Unknown said...

Hello Penny and family
I worked with Dan at Encana. He was my geologist (I'm was a land admin). Once introduced, we shook hands and I said, "can I call you king Tut?" And he - without a moment's hesitation - replied, "not if you want me to answer." I smiled and even though it certainly looked as though he had beard that one before, working with him would be good. And it was, albeit not long before he got his diagnosis. I am so sorry to read how sometimes hard life's struggles can be. I'm sorry of his passing. I know there are no words to adequately convey my sympathies. You have my hopes for better days and years ahead. And know I will remember him.
Always,
Marilyn Nash