www.flickr.com

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Slower Than You Might Prefer


stealing my walker

peek-a-boo!

The Incision (those stickers are fentanyl patches)
Standing up without holding onto anything. Next up: walking

That seems to be the theme of the week around here. Slower than you might prefer. We started the week with a long but respectable list of things to accomplish and, sitting here on Saturday afternoon, I seem to have ticked off a bare few items. On the plus side, my mobility has improved, though only a little bit. I'm not dancing and running but getting up and around is easier and my confidence is improving. It's still a supreme effort to go up and down stairs, get to the bathroom and stand up long enough to do anything in the kitchen. Relying on other people to fetch and carry is also supremely frustrating.

On the medical front, I did get to see Dr. Lupichuck but the meeting resolved little. We agreed to book a chest-abdomen-pelvis CT scan ASAP (as of yesterday pm still not done) which should direct us in the next course of treatment. Now the earliest that can be done is Monday.

I am booked to see home care on Monday afternoon. They are the ones that come to inspect your home to see what additional apparatus I might need to make day-to-day living a little easier. Things like handles in the bathroom, raised toilet seat, seat in the shower. Since I've been home more than a week already I've had time to figure lots of those things out on my own. Perhaps though she might be able to show me the best options or the least expensive options because it feels like we are running at this thing blind some days.

I am also on a wait list to see a specialty physiotherapy clinic that deals in nerve pain. I haven't heard a peep from them yet about an assessment and again hopefully that happens at the beginning of the coming week. Luckily my physio friend Heather is looking out for me and has me doing lots of exercises already to maintain some tone in my legs so that when the feeling comes back I can go straight back to my ultra marathon training.

5 comments:

Peggy C said...

I'll do the ultra with you!

Unknown said...

Just catching up as I hadn't been reading for a while. Glad you could get in for surgery so quickly. Judging by that incision your recovery is probably right on track. That's major! How you all keep smiling is pretty inspiring. Thinking of you all and thank you for the updates.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hell of a scar Dan, so crazy to know that Brad is standing on his own! Can he possibly get any cuter? Thanks heaps for posting the updates, you all are one amazing family. All our love from NZ as always, A,N & H

Anonymous said...

Wow Brad is growing up eh:)
You, Penny and the kids are rock. Be positive as you always and kick these cancer S soon! you are stronger than you think!
Biggest hug from MS

Anonymous said...

Wow Brad is growing up eh:)
You, Penny and the kids are rock. Be positive as you always and kick these cancer S soon! you are stronger than you think!
Biggest hug from MS