On June 21st 2010 I got the news that my cancer had spread to both lungs and was likely incurable. The median length of survival for most people at this stage is about 18 months. Well it’s been about 31 months since that horrible day back in 2010 and I’m still here. I have recently passed two notable milestones in my life (and a third one coming up shortly!) that have served as motivational goals for surviving these past months. Around the time I was diagnosed in 2008 two major projects were announced in Calgary: 1- an extension of Calgary’s LRT line out near our house in the west end of town which I would be able to ride to work, and 2- the construction of a brand new building in downtown Calgary to house employees from my company, EnCana. Well the new C-Train line opened in December and I’ve been riding it ever since, and today I moved into the new Encana BOW building downtown onto the 47th floor. A new train line and a new building are small milestones no doubt, but significant none-the-less as the median survival stats seemed to indicate I would not be around for either. The birth of our newest son next month will complete the trifecta of milestones that have been laid out in our life for some time now. I suppose it’s time to find new things to look forward to , and no I don’t think kid #4 is in the running.
Monday, January 14, 2013
Celebrating some Milestones
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How about the ring road south? Or maybe the southeast extension of the LRT.....I know, I know, high speed train between Calgary and Edmonton!!
Hey Dan,
All moved into the BOW eh? So is it everything we all hoped it would be???
U my friend are an inspiration!
brad boettger
Post a Comment