www.flickr.com

Friday, June 15, 2012

Good News

I had my Dr appointment today with Dr. Lupichuck and she managed to get me in to see a radiation oncologist to talk about stereotactic radiation on my liver tumor. He was positive and upbeat about being able to do the radiation and about the high likelihood of it being a long term solution for that individual tumor. This is good news! I only wish he could do it on my lung nodules too. The problem with that is that I would have to stop breathing long enough to get the treatment, so that's not really an option. In the next month I'm starting up two naturopathic cancer treatments that I will do at the same time as my conventional chemo. The first is low dose naltrexone, a drug used to treat painkiller dependance and withdrawal. It is supposed to strengthen the immune system. The second is DCA. DCA has been given as a treatment for kids who have hereditary mitochondrial defects. Apparently in cancer cells the drug reactivates the cells natural suicide device (apoptosis?). Dr Gazali is optimistic about both treatments. No word yet on the start of radiation. We may wait for a few months to see how the chemo does and keep radiation in our back pocket for the day that chemo is ineffective. Thats all for now. Back to deck building. Dan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Dan! We're in North Van from July 2 to Aug 6 so be sure to let me know if you'll be visiting your parents during that time.
Good luck with the deck!

Emma

Anonymous said...

Great news Dan! Post some picture about your deck before/after.
I hope the naturopathic cancer treatment will working for you and you do not need more "general" chemo theapy. Finger cross
Big hug from MS