www.flickr.com

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dan or Mike, you choose.

Today marks two weeks post-surgery. For the most part I'm back to normal. My biggest complaint is the extra drain I got during the surgery that I have to put up with until Monday. I will restrain myself from providing details that may make the reader nauseous, but suffice it to say I have constant leakage and have become a fan of 'Always', especially the big ones with wings. I go to see Dr. Buie on Monday. At that point he will remove that superfluous drain and it should be back to business as usual.

Andrew and I went to get hair cuts earlier in the week. We go to a barber shop run by a great group of guys from Lebanon. It's always fun and Andrew loves going (they have candy and tv). But for some reason they think my name is Mike when, as you know, my name is Dan. I have attempted to correct them on two occasions but something gets lost in translation. They say "hows it going Mike?" and I say "actually it's Dan". But they just keep on calling me Mike. Maybe I say it too fast or it sounds like something else? It's gone on for so long that it's too late to say anything or correct them outright. Isn't it? One day Andrew will be watching me get my hair cut instead of sucking on his lolly and watching treehouse and when they call me Mike he will be totally confused. How do you explain that one? Then someone will ask him on the street "What's your dad's name?" and his reply will be "Dan or Mike". Huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
Hope you feeling well and your best friend now Always with you:))when you need.
Maybe in their culture Mike means Dan..or opposite who knows.
I like your sense of humour:)
Get well soon big hug from MS

ps. I got a word verification as "drain" is it weird or what?

Anonymous said...

I think that because 1 in 5 Canadian white males are named Mike it just makes sense for the barbers to call all their customers that. In my case my Dad is Mike and so is my husband...it just keeps things simple, explain that to Andrew if he notices.
I am glad you are getting rid of the extra drain on Monday it doesn't sound like much fun.
take care,
Jill

Josephine said...

Mike! Love yer haircut! Lookin' good.
Cuzzie J