www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Round 12 - The LAST one!

I got juiced up with my 12th round of chemo today. I'm excited to get through the next week and get to the feeling good part. I got congratulations from a few of the nurses that work on the daycare unit who have ridden this road with me for the last 6+ months. I didn't get a certificate or a belt buckle or anything like that to mark the end but it feels like such a great accomplishment that maybe I should have got something. I guess I'll just take some pride in the fact that I finished it. 'Cause not everyone does.

I spent the afternoon in the hospital Monday getting tortured by a couple of DR Buie's residents. My abscess had flared up at the surface of my buttock and needed some medical attention. Basically they had to make an incision and drain the abscess. It was painful and not a whole lot of fun for all parties involved. I can see why Buie sent his underlings to do it. It was definitely not a glamorous procedure. I hated the whole thing and hope I never have to go back.

Penny and Vicky have planned a big celebration bash to mark the end of my chemo treatments. The date is May 15 at the Saltlik downtown on 8th Ave and Centre Street. Everyone is invited but I didn't have email addresses for a few of you including Heidi in Edmonton, Carol in Calgary who has walked a similar road as me, Greg and Erika of Calgary and Gillian Lawson, to name a few. So please email me at dan-pen@telus.net so I can officially get everyone who reads this blog at my party. We will be celebrating one of the small victories in my battle against this terrible disease with an appy and a wobbly pop (or two).

7 comments:

Gill said...

Your head is in the right place with this one buddy!! You are done! You made it, Penny made it- we all made it. Keep that in mind over the coming days. Perhaps you can see today as a socked in deep cove day, with lots of humidity and spring just around the corner...
(for those not in Calgary, this is a metaphor but also literally - that's what it looks like outside right now - only it's -10C).

Anonymous said...

How did it go? You and Penny must feel incredible to be at the end of this l-o-n-g chemo journey! Take care of yourself!

Your Edmonton Stranger Friend,
Heidi

Unknown said...

This is a huge accomplishment. If you think back to that first treatment, I bet today felt a long way off. Now you're here! Looking forward to celebrating with you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dan. Keep up the good work. I don't know where you get your strength but it is pretty impressive. Now get on to the feeling better and getting better part. I check on you almost every day and will look forward to continuing good news.
All our best to you and your family
Dennis Callan (Mark's father)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dan. As you can see you climed the mountain and there are no other mountain...you done:)
I`m so happy for you and your family and you deserved the huge celebration at the end of the road.
I sooo sooo happy :)))
Big Hug from MS

Anonymous said...

R those Real?

Allie said...

Congrats on finishing - what a long road to endure! Enjoy those wobbly pops, you deserve it!