www.flickr.com

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Done, sort of.

Well, I seem to be on the mend. Most of my worst chemo side effects are steadily dissipating and life is slowly getting back to normal. The only side effects that remain are a metallic taste in my mouth, numbness in my fingers and toes and fatigue. I think I'm dealing well so far but can't wait to get back into life full tilt.

One complication that has reared its ugly head lately is the recurring infection/abscess. I'm back on antibiotics which seems to have settled things down but its only a temporary solution. Even though the drain is out now, it was in for so long that the tract left through my butt cheek is having a hard time healing. That means I have an open wound on my butt that is constantly draining some kind of nasty fluid from inside. It's gross. It's actually a good thing in one sense as it means that I don't have to get another drain put in. Yet. But it also means that they can't put another drain in since the abscess is draining fluid it's not growing in size which means its small and would be hard to hit if you tried to place another drain in it. So it looks like I'm stuck with a butt wound for a while, at least until I have my next CT scan in a couple of weeks and consult with Dr Buie. Maybe he'll have a great idea to solve this problem...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the side effects sound horrible. Will the numbness go away? Sorry to hear about the pain in your ass - sounds absolutely nasty.

Can't wait to meet you and Penny in May!

Take care of yourselves and your precious kiddies.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, buddy!

Mike, B, Z and Z

Carol said...

Doesn't it feel funny to be finished chemo. Like- now what?
What's next?