www.flickr.com

Monday, March 16, 2009

Shawndra Turner: 1976-2009

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. An inspiring figure in my cancer battle, Shawndra Turner, passed away yesterday from a hard fought battle with a rare type of colorectal cancer. She was 32. She left behind a daughter, Ella, 3 her husband Doug and many family and friends.

When I first found out that I had cancer, I opted to tell everyone rather than keeping it a secret. That was one of the best decisions I have ever made as it introduced me (through a couple of friends) to two cancer survivors, one of which is Shawndra. Shawndra has documented her entire cancer battle in a blog for everyone to see, and was my inspiration to start a blog about my battle. I thought it was a great idea to record the battle as it happened, with the emotion that goes with it. Her blog served to keep friends and family up to date on her care, it served to educate people about the signs of colorectal cancer, it served as inspiration to others fighting this terrible disease and it will serve as a detailed memoir to her daughter, Ella.

Shawndra had a very direct way of writing and made a point about having the symptoms of colorectal cancer right at the top of her blog for every visitor to see. I found that both of these things made for a very effective blog and I have tried to replicate both of those things in my blog. When Shawndra found out she had very little chance of a cure she accepted that and shared the details with her readers. She was always frank with her posts and shared good news and bad. It was obvious she loved her husband and daughter and she will be dearly missed by them.

Shawndra, you have been an inspiration to me as I have made my way through this terrible maze that is colorectal cancer. I will miss your stories, your wit and your detailed posts about treatment. Thanks for your guidance and insight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan-Thank you for your wonderful tribute to Shawndra. She was truly an amazing woman and a great friend to me and many others! Thinking of you and yours from Kansas City. Angie

Anonymous said...

Dan-
I want to thank you for your sweet post about my sister, Shawndra. We were so blessed to have had such time together and I will miss her dearly. Colorectal cancer is now something that we all have a heightened awareness. I will be praying for you and your dear family as well. I just found your blog this evening from our dear friend, Angie. Thank you for sharing your story. It will be such a great detail of your journey and probably pretty therapeutic as well. Hope to keep in touch. Goc Bless you and your family.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan:
I am sad to hear about your friend Shawndra. What an amazing journey she took - clearly loved by everyone who knew her. The description of her final days hit close to home for me with how Marnie described how things went for Mel - her dad - and I couldn't actually get through it. Cancer is shit.

I just wanted you to know that I read it and also sent you a little something in the mail today - hope it makes you smile.
Lots of love and peace.
GGG

Lisa said...

Such a great blog you wrote about Shawndra. I had followed her blog for a long time and was/am so sad of her passing. She certainly inspired a lot of people.