www.flickr.com

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Did I just do a post about CURLING?

I'm not usually a curling fan but my current physical state has resulted in me spending an alarming amount of time in front of the tv. There are at least three big sporting events taking place in the month of March: the world baseball championship, college basketball (March madness) and curling (the Scott Tournament of Hearts and the Tim Hortons brier). I'm not a huge fan of any of those sports but somehow when I was in the hospital I started watching curling and haven't been able to stop. Its addictive in an annoying way. Last night was the first playoff match in the men's Tim Hortons Brier which is being held at the Saddledome here in Calgary this week. The match was between Alberta (Kevin Martin) and Ontario (Glenn Howard). It was an exciting match the entire way through. There were lots of exciting shots and high pressure draws. In the end the match was tied at 6 and went to an extra end. Kevin Martin had the hammer and on the final stone he needed to draw to the button for a single point and the win. As he was throwing the final rock he said "I'm a little light guys, you gotta go!" so his team had to brush the stone the entire length of the ice. In the end the rock ended up about 3cm closer to the button than his opponents rock to score 1 point and win the match! It was a very exciting game to watch.

The other playoff matches take place today and tomorrow. So, if you're stuck at home, incapacitated and don't know what to do with yourself, flick on the tube and check out the curling. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how exciting it is to watch a couple of bald guys with brooms chase rocks down a sheet of ice.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We've been glued to curling too !???! - this has never before happened in our house. Those bald heads sure do light up when they do the overhead camera shot. Someone needs to tell them that white belts never look good with black pants. Great news about your pathology report Dan, so happy to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I was actually wondering if it was even on TV, and wondered what it might be like to watch on tv. Thanks for the inspiration, I will check out the sports highlights...it would be sports highlights right? Cool that Alberta beat Ontario - something I can rub in with my mom.
GGG

Astrid said...

What was the 3rd?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tuttles:
I used to curl..if you can believe that one!!!!!!!! Glad you are hangin' in eh:) Love to you, Penny, and the fam..so glad you are back at home and being occupied by curing as opposed to hospital stimuli!!
ade