As I start week 2 of this round of chemo and radiation there is a lot going on. This week I have 5 radiation treatments, 2 doctor appointments, 1 chemo treatment, and 1 blood test. Needless to say I will be seeing A LOT of the Foothills Hospital this week. After my blood test today (I had to wait for more than an hour to get my blood taken - mental note - next time make an appointment) my white blood cell count was high enough to continue my chemo treatment, so tomorrow I go in to switch to a full bottle of 5FU.
My side effects are pretty limited so far. I have a terrible taste in my mouth that makes eating a bit of a challenge. Its actually a bit like I'm pregnant. I crave really sweet foods like desserts and hard candy and really salty foods like chips and bacon (mmmm bacon). I crave a turkey-bacon sub from subway almost daily. I've also found that I'm losing my hair. Not much but enough that I notice it in the sink and in the shower and on the pillow. So far my weight is about the same. I may have lost a pound or two but not much.
In my meeting with my medical oncologist today I found out that my last day for both radiation and chemo will be November 18th for sure. That means that I could be ready for surgery as early as December 18th. Also on my 'to-do' list this week is to talk with my colorectal surgeon about booking a surgery date. Likely it won't quite be as easy as one phone call but the sooner the process begins the sooner I can get this tumor out of my arse.
4 comments:
Thanks for starting a blog! Glad to see you still have your sense of humor too. Wow, that is a lot for one week. If the radiation doesn't make you tired, the running around will!
Wow..quite the weekly schedule Tuttles! And what?..there is a "got cancer?" store?? The things I am learning from you! You make me proud..and I agree with others that it's awesome you are keeping your sense of humour through your battle with the pain in the butt "tumor in your arse"!!:)
ttys, ade
You are such amazing person, who has a sense of humor in this time. I hope you have enough energy and a huge humor to see the thing differently. :) Keep smiling and everything will be good :) Good luck for you and for your family.
MS
Dan,
Drink a lot of green tea, take B6 vitamin for "bad feeling" like vomiting, diziness and use Aloe Vera Avemare...this all help you to improve your immunsystem and be stronger that you think.
MS
Post a Comment