www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cancer and a Good Bra

It's been about a month now that I've been off chemotherapy. Physically I feel great. I find my body is feeling pretty much normal. Other than a little fatigue I have no complaints. How is it possible that I've been diagnosed with a terminal disease yet I feel fine? This fact haunts me on a daily basis. My life largely proceeds like usual but I get the occasional short burst of sheer terror when I realize that the mean survival rate for people like me will be over at Christmas.

One of the common comments I get from friends and family about living with cancer is "I don't know how you do it!". I assume that this comment is made in relation to moving on with life while living with a terminal disease. I really have no explanation on how it's done other than to say that I've found a 'new normal'. Like everybody else I detest cliches like that that seem so simple but don't come with instructions. 'Live every day like it's your last' is one of my favourites. It sounds great but how the hell do you implement it? As for finding a 'new normal' the only comparison I can come up with is that it must be like having boobs. See at first having boobs must be fun and exciting. But, after a very, very long time, the novelty wears off (so I'm told). And so it is with cancer, albeit cancer is never as fun as boobs. At first cancer is overwhelming and scary and life altering. But after a while normalcy creeps back in. Bills have to be paid, kids fed and friendships maintained. It's just life catching up with the diagnosis. Like a good bra, you hold it all together somehow and make it look good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

You are a fine man Dan Tutt.

Mark Callan

Unknown said...

Dan, you are too funny. I can only imagine how overwhelmed a man would be while trying to go bra shopping and appalled at the price of a supportive bra. Well nowhere near the cost of cancer treatments...so maybe not that apalling to you!

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your break from treatment. Your pictures look like you guys are having a lot of fun together. Love it!

Jen Chmilar

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that i'm thinking of you and Penny and the kids.
God bless you for your strong & courageous heart.
Love Lukas

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Is it bad that the mental image your post conjured up, had you in a very racy bra? With tassels.

Heidi et al., Edmonton.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you well, nor do I see you often, but your big, beautiful smile always makes my day. I think that is one way that you ARE "living every day like..." well, you know the rest...cliche as it is. Thank you for that!

Anonymous said...

You and your whole family amazing, supportive and care about everything. I feel every time from your blog that LOVE IS IN THE AIR. I`m so proud of you and your family and keep going, because you are on a good way.

I`m glad that you are off from the chemo and feeling great.
Big hug from
MS

Anonymous said...

Great analogy. I think you're doing a little more than "holding it all together."

Couzzie Josephine said...

Ahhhh Dan. Great metaphor! I love how you are trying to 'implement' clichés!! Only a relative of mine would think about an implementation plan for a cliché. I'm glad to hear things are going well sans chemo too! I'm happy to have your parents back and looking forward to our big celebration on Saturday. I only wish that you and Penny and kids and Matt could join us. One day, perhaps over beers, I would LOVE to hear how you came up with this boobs metaphor... ;)
Love Josephine xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dan, you are way too damn funny, that made me laugh out loud! Thanks. :)

I think for people who have not had to deal with such things, like me once upon an innocent time, think that the "live every day like it's your last" means that you have to go sky diving, bungee jumping, save a few orphans, what have you. But now, having the retrospect to know what true bliss really is, I realize it's purely about taking in all of the perfect, beautiful simplicity of day-to-day life with the people we love. That is paying the bills, feeding the kids, maintaining those friendships, and holding hands with the one who makes our heart both race and rest easy. Just being simply happy, and that's all.

Glad to hear your guys' summer is going so perfectly, simply, beautifully well.

Deanna Henderson