www.flickr.com

Friday, April 1, 2011

Sushi and CT results


Sushi monster, originally uploaded by DPC Tutt.

Tonight we had the last supper with the kids before we leave for Germany tomorrow. Andrew wanted sushi so we indulged him. He (and Carly) LOVE salmon sushi. Andrew eats it, wasabi and soy sauce included. He takes it off the rice first, folds it up, dips it in soy and then stuffs it in. It's hilarious to watch.

I picked up my CT results today. It was a little disappointing. The scan showed "subtle" growth of all of the nodules in my lungs. The largest one grew from 7x8mm to 9x10mm. There are 14 nodules in total in both lungs. On the plus side there are no new nodules and no other concerning features anywhere else.

I'm still not sure exactly how the resolution of the scan relates to my particular condition. With such small nodules I've been told before that it's hard to resolve meaningful measurements from such small features. If the scan is composed of 5mm slices it would be easy a) to fit small tumors between each 5mm slice and b) to slice the tumor in a different place from scan to scan. For instance if you have a 10mmx10mm nodule perhaps on scan 1 you slice it on one side resulting in an apparent size of 4mmx4mm. Then on a second, later CT scan, one of the 5mm slices happens to bisect the tumor perfectly in the middle resulting in an apparent size of 10mmx10mm. From those results one might conclude that the nodule has grown in the time between scans when in fact it actually stayed the same size. I suppose when you have 14 nodules and the all appear to grow from one scan to the next then that theory might not hold water. I wonder if it's possible to have a face to face meeting with a radiologist to discuss these things?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new camera takes great pictures! I love this one, Carly is so beautiful. xx auntie Sue