When I was first diagnosed with cancer 18 months ago, I was encouraged by a friend to talk with a cancer survivor named Megan. Megan was diagnosed with the same cancer as me at a similar age. Her cancer story was tremendously helpful in the days following my diagnosis for a number of reasons, but especially because, 15 years after her diagnosis, she is still here. Our initial conversation was so uplifting and encouraging. A big change from the weeks spent in the hospital fearing the worst.
Megan recently sent out an email to all of her friends reminding them of her story and of the importance of talking to your doctor about colorectal cancer. I think it's well written, truthful and worth reading and so I have included a copy below. Please read it and pass it on to anyone you care about that has a colon.
My friends and family know my story but many of you don't and I have decided to send this to everyone on my email list....so a very quick recap. 15 years ago when I was 35 I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. After surgery to remove a foot of my colon and 6 months of chemotherapy, I charged ahead with my life until 5 years later the cancer returned and now had spread to my liver making it stage 4, and my chances of surviving more than 5 years was less than 25%. After another surgery to remove 1/3 of my liver and 6 months of chemotherapy I am here to talk about today, 10 years later.( the list of thank yous starts with God, but is too long to go into!)I am taking a risk here of boring you, invading your privacy, taking up your time and hopefully maybe even saving a life, but I do have passion around this and no apologies. Two things recently happened in my life..... I had a colonoscopy yesterday (my 7th one) and I just finished reading in the obituaries this morning about a 33yr old man who died of stage 4 colon cancer. So I felt very compelled to write to you all. Also I am a volunteer for the Canadian Cancer Society and have 8 clients with colon cancer who I support via phone throughout Canada and over half are under 50!. This is not an "old peoples" disease and doctors do not recommend colonoscopies until you are 50 but I am here to encourage you, implore you, ask you...do it now! It is not too early if you are in your late 30's ,40's and if you are in your 50's you should have been already! Colon cancer starts with a polyp in the large colon. This in itself is not harmful but if left unattended will turn to cancer. A colonoscopy can detect these polyp growths and they can easily be removed. Colon cancer does not cause discomfort or pain until it is too late. A colonoscopy is not painful in a any way. The last thing I remember before the procedure is the wonderfully relaxing feeling of the magical drugs entering into my system through the intravenous, then waking up an hour later. No pain, no discomfort, and a good sleep afterwards. The prep is just like a cleanse, you clean your system and loose a couple pounds!!! The waiting lists for this procedure is long so get your name on one now. I commit to be here for anyone who has questions, concerns or needs support before the procedure. Do not wait, do not be fearful and if you have already had your colonoscopy "good on ya" and spread the word. I also ask you send this to 10 friends....if you can save a life take the risk, I just did!
Thanks everyone for your time,
Megan Darling:)
1 comment:
Thank you Dan for continuing to get the message out! From your experience I discovered that my mum has had pre-cancerous polyps removed since her 30's and went out immediately and got a colonoscopy (of course in Kenya I'm in a private system so was in there within days). It was easy peasy, and such a relief to know where I stood. With my family history I will now be going every few years for the time being (unless syptoms say otherwise), and am more aware of the risks to my children. Thanks doesn't really say it, but thanks!
Post a Comment