Sailing around the world is a major feat of skill and endurance. For centuries early explorers did not care how long it took them to circle the globe. They were simply happy to make it back to their home port with enough sailors to handle their ships. These early circumnavigations were full of danger and excitement. Sailing in uncharted waters, trying to find food and water and skirmishes with natives along the way kept things exciting. Since Joshua Slocum's first solo circumnavigation from 1894-1898 the goal has been to do it faster. Constantly improving technology over the centuries has enabled longer, more extreme voyages in smaller and lighter boats. Now a solo sailor in a state of the art boat with the latest in navigational gear and nutritional supplements can make a round the world trip in much less than a year. Magellan would be amazed.While technology including sophisticated real time weather mapping and super accurate GPS has made sailing easier and faster in the past few years, I don't think it has made it significantly safer. A modern sailor still has deal with storms, gear malfunctions and major breakages while navigating the multitude of islands, islets, reefs and other (often larger) boating traffic. Electronic navigational aides might make finding your way a little easier and faster but sooner or later the batteries die or salt water corrodes your precious GPS or laptop interface. At that point the modern sailor is faced with finding his or her way with simple tools of the trade that have been used for centuries: a sextant (no this is not a portable canvas abode used for the conception of little sailors) and a watch. Given this, it is obvious that the dangers of long haul blue water sailing have not changed in millennia despite the recent invention of a few dainty (yet handy) electronics.
These dangers of solo sailing make Jessica Watson's recent voyage nothing short of amazing. At 16 years old, Jessica has become the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world. She left Sidney, Australia in October of last year sailed East and North across the equator then turned South and headed East around Cape Horn, the Cape of Good Hope and around the South side of Australia before ending her 210 day odyssey back in Sidney on Saturday. She detailed her journey in a blog she updated daily from her 34 foot boat, Ella's Pink Lady. It is estimated that she has more than a million dollars of endorsements including a book deal, waiting for her as she returns to her normal life in Australia.
Congratulations on a successful journey Jessica. Your perseverance and optimism have inspired me in my cancer journey.
2 comments:
Hey Dan, back when you mentioned Jessica's blog I started right away and followed the blog. I looked forward to her blog every two days, I too was so inspired. On friday pass, I was all evening waiting to see her cross the finish line on the internet. But on sat morning I got the channel ten from Austraila on the internet and watched her come into Sidney harbour, it was awesomw, I actually got emotional. So thanks for that suggestion. I also looked forward to your blogs all the time. I was always cheering you on in my heart. I'm glad to hear you're doing better, all the best
Debbie Guy
It is so great to hear that people all over the world were watching Jess cross the finish line. Sydney Harbour was a brilliant setting for the finish, and Sydneysiders do nothing better than turn out for a party on the harbour. I may be a bit biased though - after 15 years living nearby, I still believe Sydney Harbour is the most stunning harbour in the world! Mum mentioned that you visited back in about 2001, so I am sure that you would agree!
Jess has repeatedly made the point that part of her purpose was to inspiring others - Dan, I am so glad that a stubborn Australian teenager has provided a bright spot in your journey.
Cheers
Gill
Post a Comment