www.flickr.com

Friday, February 5, 2010

This Post Brought to You By: Always...

Warning: Frank discussion of a broken ego below. Consider yourself warned.

Now that I'm home and somewhat recovered from my lack of sleep in the hospital (I had a four hour nap today AND yesterday!) I can discuss some of the funny stuff that happened when I was in the hospital. Well actually I hope it will be funny for you. I can laugh at it now but it was not so funny at the time.

The procedure I had on Tuesday was written up on the consent form as "explore pelvic abscess". It sounds harmless enough when it's written that way but the truth of the matter is its much more - what's the word? - raw than the pedestrian title would seem to indicate. I didn't ask too many questions about what the procedure entailed but suffice it to say I was glad to be asleep for it. As I understand it they went "exploring" up my gluteal cleft with a variety of high tech instrumentation that would make any video game junkie jealous. They were looking for the entrance to the fistula (fancy doctor word for passageway) that connects my infected abscess to my rectum with the intent to widen the opening connecting the two. They did not find what they were looking for but they did spend 30 minutes "up there" doing something. My doctor said they had a good look around (did he confuse my rectum with a show home?) but couldn't find what they were looking for.

Following the procedure I was sent back to my room to recover. Given the fact that all they did was have a look around, I sure had a lot of recovering to do. Apparently in the process of exploring uranus like Captain James T. Kirk, they used a significant amount of jelly-like lubricant (thank god). Now, this particular lubricant is apparently hard to retain for even the most conditioned of sphincter muscles. Given that I haven't used mine in a year I didn't stand a chance. I've been leaking lubricant like a bad oil change ever since. To make things worse, I've had to wear a pad. Not just any pad. A freaking pillow with wings. The nurses all had a hilarious time laughing at me trying to get it in the right spot. I had a hard time getting the wings to wrap around (I've seen the commercials) and still have the pad in the right place. Apparently those things are not designed for leaky ani (I just made that word up - it's the plural form of anus). I seem to have it all sussed out now at the expense of my ego. My transformation to a woman is nearly complete.

Good times...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you can laugh about it now. You should charge admission - say it's the dreamhome! Hope your recovery continues to go well and you can get that much needed rest.

Kevin said...

"does it fly?"

Keep laughing Dan, Kevin.

Marnie White said...

Dan,

You are such a gifted and honest writer. We've been silently following your blog for months now and finally need to step out of the 'lurker' shadow to thank you for sharing your words with us. We often think about you and are sending our very best healing vibes just 4 km down the road.

Marnie & Dave

Couzzie Josephine said...

This is a great post, cuzzie. You have a great sense of humour and I love that you have shared your ordeal with us and are able to laugh. What a great attitude! Love the word 'ani' and will be adding it to my lexicon and using it regularly! I'm in Revelstoke right now and wish I could just 'pop' over for a visit, but I'm headed back to the isle tomorrow. Lots of love to you and Penny, and the kiddies. Love Josephine

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,

I have to second Marnie's comments - I have been following this blog since the beginning, sometimes checking daily. You have an amazing gift for writing and I feel honored & humbled that you are sharing your experiences with us all.

Your sense of humor is incredible; you inspire me with your perseverance, honesty, bravery and dedication to beating this cancer.

Thinking good thoughts for you, Penny and the kids!

Jodi & Aaron Dupont

SarcasticGreg said...

"Ani" is definitely a word now. I'm going to start using it as much as possible.

"Those guys are a bunch of Ani" Or it could be used as a general reference to the Edmonton Oilers.

That entry (ignore the pun)is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Carly and Jason said...

Dan, your sense of humour is amazing. I'm glad you can laugh, because there aren't too many men out there that could laugh about wearing a pad for the first time, and then post a blog about it!

Keep up the healing and big hugs to the family!
The Franks