www.flickr.com

Friday, July 17, 2009

The week of Doctors

Things have gone well this week. Yesterday I met with my liver surgeon (Dr Sutherland). We didn't have much to talk about since my surgery and recover from that surgery have gone so well. He spent some of the time making fun of Dr Buie ("my incision looks much cleaner than his" and "How's it going with that drain mess of Dr Buie's?"). He said that he will follow me long term with CEA blood tests and he will alternate between CT scans and ultrasounds every year for the next five or so years. Really, things have gone so well with him that there was very little to discuss.

This morning I met with Dr Buie to discuss the goings on with my butt drain. He said things were going well and he booked me in to see Dr. Reed for a sineogram next Thursday. If the abscess is closing on its own around the drain he will book me in to have a biodegradable glue inserted through the drain to close the abscess and hole into my colon. If the sineogram shows that the abscess is not closing then I will keep the drain for a few more weeks and then reassess the whole situation again at that time with another sineogram. The best case scenario (my layman's view) is that the abscess is closed next week when they do the sineogram. Then the following week they insert the glue, then a few weeks to heal, then start chemo mid August. I would sort of hope for a bit of delay in there somewhere so I can have all of August to enjoy the weather (which is finally nice!).

Stay tuned for more updates next week and a story and some pictures of our new purchase...

Happy sunning y'all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: enjoying the sun...hope you guys had a great weekend & keep us posted as to when you're coming this way. If you have time, check out our 14day weather trend, which is very good for tourists, not so good for people living in Kelowna:( It's supposed to reach 38 degrees next week, which means it will be about 32 at Sugar...perfect.) Accompany that with a slammer & you have a pretty good day! Thinking of you & good to hear they're going to glue you up (truly something I never thought I'd be writing to you huh?)xo The Louis family

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
How are you? I hope you enjoyed the sun and have fun with your family.
Let us know what`s going on with you...
Take care and feel better soon

MS