www.flickr.com

Monday, July 13, 2009

It's almost chemo time again


Carly's portrait of me, originally uploaded by DPC Tutt.

This is the week of doctors. I see my medical oncologist my liver surgeon and my colorectal surgeon and just for fun I'm also going to see my dentist. It should be a fun week.

Today I was in to see my medical oncologist. We discussed the chemo regimen I will be on and the timing of when it will start. Unfortunately the issue I have with my drain will slow things down a bit since she doesn't want to start the immune compromising chemo while I still have a hole in my colon (I think that would be a great name for a band - Hole in my Colon). So really its up to Don, my colorectal surgeon to fix this drain issue soon so I can start chemo, so I can finish chemo, so I can get on with my life. I'm looking forward to seeing him on Friday and finding out what the plan is.

The chemo regimen I will be on is called FolFox which stands for Folinic acid (leukovorin), Flurouracil (5Fu) and oxaliplatin. It is administered in 2 week cycles for 6 months (12 treatments total). On day one I go in for 3 hours and get hooked up, then I go home with a bottle hooked up to me for 2 days then I have the remaining 12 days of the cycle to recover. I did one round soon after my diagnosis so I sort of know what I'm getting into. Honestly I'm not looking forward to it but it does have proven success in improving survivability so I'm going to give it a chance to do its job.

The side effects of this treatment are numerous, highly variable and generally terrible. They include: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, neuropathy (both an acute, reversible sensitivity to cold and numbness in the hands and feet and a chronic, possibly irreversible foot/leg, hand/arm numbness), neutropenia (a hematological disorder characterized by an abnormally low number of a type of white blood cell called a neutrophil), ototoxicity (hearing loss), myelosuppression (?), mucositis (the painful inflammation and ulceration of the mucous membranes lining the digestive tract - like mouth sores), dermatitis, and cardiac toxicity (?). Sounds fun. I can't wait to get started (note the sarcasm).

The picture at the top of this entry is a portrait of me by Carly. Note the scars that converge at my belly button, and the bags. Also I'm apparently shaped like a jelly bean.

5 comments:

Gill said...

Hi Dan:
Sounds like a heavily loaded week with overwhelming amount of information to sift through. As usual your blog resounds of strength and optimism and humour. I am glad you're spirits are holding up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
You are so funny...I thinks you like doctors:) hihi just kidding.
I like Carly portrait it so nice and the color and your shape is awsome :) I hope you feeling better and your issue with your drain will be gone forever.
Hole in my Colon....faboulos...
You make my day happier:)
Get well soon and enjoy the summer
MS

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
Be sure to drop by downstairs when you are in for some of your appointments - I am on unit 9 now.
The chemo side effects suck but you are much younger and stronger than most people who go through it. As well, attitude goes really far in how you get through the treatment and you have a fantastic one so I'm sure you'll do well.
Good luck getting the drain stuff resolved.
Hope to catch up with you soon.
:) Shannon from unit 6

Anonymous said...

hugs dan - your attitude still amazes me. . . i wish you much luck that this gets going like we all want it to for you and again thank you for the giggle - carly's picture is awesome. . .
p.s. I didn't realize you'd changed so much since highschool. . .a nice red tan, jelly bean shaped and all . . . (wink wink)
love and hugs jen currie ( dave, kayla and "little peanut" on the way)

nish said...

Hey Dan! Sounds like a lot going on:) I hope everything goes well and that you are not feeling too overwhelmed. Thanks for keeping a blog - I love getting updates and hearing how you are all doing. I seem to have lost Penny's email address so I was wondering if you could email it to me?!?! navandnisha@shaw.ca

Thanks!
Nisha